• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Any common cathode (grounded grid) schematics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Before you say "use the Search button" or "try Google" let me explain. I am interested in designs of what Broskie calls "common cathode" as shown here
http://www.tubecad.com/2005/April/blog0042.htm
Common_Cathode_03.png

not just a plain grounded cathode stage which many also refer to as common cathode. It's very similar to the Rosenblits grounded grid minus 1 triode I guess. I think the terminology is tripping up my attempts to research. Any help appreciated.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
What you have there is a "long tail pair" with the output taken from only one anode (if you took the output from both anodes, it would be a phase splitter).

I have never tried the (non-splitter) version of this circuit that you show; however, from memory, it's highly regarded by those who would know, presumably for its power supply rejection ratio (PSRR - posh way of saying low hum), low distortion and stable gain. It also gives a non-inverted output, unlike the more conventional common cathode amplifier, if that's important to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.