• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

I didn't remember to have sent the Gerber files of the new EL84 Baby Huey PCB to anyone other than Prasi, therefor I don't know from where you had these files and if they are good ones :confused:

As I have already written the first version, of which only 5 PCB were produced, had some errors...

Please check your files to be sure that they are good !

Marc

Hi Polycell,

Sorry for the late answer, I have missed your question :eek:

The 1k trimmer will adjust the bias of the two input triodes and to be fully balanced the voltage of both triodes plates (pin 9) must be the same therefor you need to adjust the trimmer to have 0 VDC between the two anodes !

Some time it is easier to connect the probes to the input of C1 and C2 :)

For your convenience I have added the last schema and PCB of the ECL86 / PCL86 Baby Huey.

Best regards,
Marc

Attachments

• Schema ECL86 Oct 2, 2018.pdf
    136.4 KB · Views: 216
  • PCB ECL86 Oct 2, 2018.png
    PCB ECL86 Oct 2, 2018.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 691
Hi Polycell,

Sorry for the late answer, I have missed your question :eek:

The 1k trimmer will adjust the bias of the two input triodes and to be fully balanced the voltage of both triodes plates (pin 9) must be the same therefor you need to adjust the trimmer to have 0 VDC between the two anodes !

Some time it is easier to connect the probes to the input of C1 and C2 :)

For your convenience I have added the last schema and PCB of the ECL86 / PCL86 Baby Huey.

Best regards,
Marc

Loaded question aside, what you are asking for is sufficiently different enough that you may wish to start a separate thread, as that's a different enough design that it doesn't really belong here. This is a pretty well laid out design that becomes something else entirely when doing what you propose.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The PCBs were purchased through Group buys - unfortunately one just concluded. The kind organizer (Prasi) of the GB has some EL34 boards left, but the EL84 boards are all spoken for. Perhaps folks who bought multiple boards would be willing to sell you a pair. The GB price per pair was around US$30.

See post #792:
GB for Baby Huey PCB

Regarding your transformers - hopefully the experts could advise you better, but if it were me I would sell those and get a pair of UL transformers. (Why change a proven design into something else by using different transformers?)

Hi snapper,

You don't need an EL84 board because the 4k primary transformer will be perfect for the EL34 Baby Huey PCB and you are lucky, there are still some available in the GB :)

Second good news : you don't need to change anythings on the PCB, you just need to connect the screen to the plate (triode mode) or to the high voltage (pentode mode), it work perfectly, I have done it, see photos :up:

You can also read posts 2071, 73, 74 and 75 about this subject EL84 Amp - Baby Huey :D

There is also a lot of informations here : EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier

Rgds,
Marc

Attachments

• 6CA7 Baby Huey gros plan triode.JPG
    6CA7 Baby Huey gros plan triode.JPG
    314.5 KB · Views: 696
  • 6CA7 Baby Huey gros plan pentode.JPG
    6CA7 Baby Huey gros plan pentode.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 674
  • 6CA7 Baby Huey mode mixte.JPG
    6CA7 Baby Huey mode mixte.JPG