• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

@ ckwong99

Yes because the Baby Huey amplifier use a special shunt feedback architecture with R13, which in combinaison of the feedback of the UL taps on the output tubes screen grid will be enough to get a stable amplifier without global feedback ! In fact this is an advantage of this amplifier because many Audiophiles didn't like global feedback :D

However if you build a pentode output version with the screen grid connected to a fixed regulated power supply, you may need to add the global feedback...

Marc

Well I do not know if it is progress or not. But today I placed an order with Mouser. Last week I drilled the top plate of my chassis for the transformers and cut the wood for the base.

As seems to be the way with these things I am waiting for parts from all over the freaking world.

I think I will be able to start the real building in the next few weeks.

I hope this helps

I will likely start a build thread as this one is way to big and diverse

Last edited:
e_fortier,

If I were you, what I would do is use ceramic sockets for both the EL34 and the 12AX7, and run wires from the socket to the PCB, this will give you more freedom in terms of mounting. I don't know how this will play into the grid stopper resistor, however, as I normally see that mounted super close to the socket...

Personally, for my baby Huey, I am making many small PCB's for each section of the circuit, to give me greater freedom in mounting to the chassis.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eric,
Ceramic for the EL34. They tend to cook their base. A 6CA7 sounds better and doesn't tend to cook itself.

The 12AX7A should go into a socket with a shield. I wouldn't use ceramic, the normal sockets do just fine. If you can shock mount them the amp will be less subject to shock noise as you operate switches.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Eric,
For the KT88, ceramic makes even more sense.

One thing to keep in mind is the spacing between tubes and other tubes or objects. If I recall correctly, that would be 1/2 the diameter. That means 1 diameter between power tubes at a minimum. Having vents between tubes will also help. The KT88 does produce a lot of heat, so keep that in mind.

-Chris

e_fortier,

If I were you, what I would do is use ceramic sockets for both the EL34 and the 12AX7, and run wires from the socket to the PCB, this will give you more freedom in terms of mounting. I don't know how this will play into the grid stopper resistor, however, as I normally see that mounted super close to the socket...

Put the grid stopper where the tube is, not on the PCB. Solder the resistor on the socket, then connect this to the PCB using a wire. Install a jumper in place of the resistor on the PCB.

Has there been any discussion of fleshing this out to an integrated amplifier with line inputs?

I just got a set of PCBs from the last group buy and considering some ideas.

Any suggestions on a tube linestage that I could integrate as a “one box solution” with this design with minimal hacking?

Just add an input select switch and a volume pot, done.