• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which 6SN7 preamp should I build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The original thread used the 12BH7, so I went with that. Although because of your comment, I just swapped out the 12BH7's with a pair of 12AU7's and I have to admit it opened things up quite a bit.
I rolled a ton of different tubes in my "Bijou" headphone amp...and the 6H30 by far is my favorite, followed by the 6N1P

Interesting. Well, if you have something with a 6N1P in it, try using a 6CG7 as a direct replacement, and see what happens.

What is it about the 6H30 that you like the most?

Ray

Interesting. Well, if you have something with a 6N1P in it, try using a 6CG7 as a direct replacement, and see what happens.

What is it about the 6H30 that you like the most?

Ray

I don't have any 6CG7's to try...but might pick some up off of ebay.

Mainly it is the level of detail. The 6H30's are the best at bringout out the finer details in the music. One thing though...the gain on the 6H30 is much lower than the others...so you need to keep that in mind.

hi, Well, i've heard good tings about the 6H30 tube.

As far as the 12AU7 goes, as far as I can read, there are better tubes out there that are much more open. The 12AU7 is supposed to be fast. It wouldn't take much to convert your present 12AU7 preamp to a 6CG7. I don't know what the optimum B+ voltage is for the 6CG7.

Anyway, do you happen to know what the output impedance of the circuit is?

Ray

hi, Well, i've heard good tings about the 6H30 tube.

Anyway, do you happen to know what the output impedance of the circuit is?

Ray

Here are the specs from Frank:
Specifications Line preamp:

Powerconsumption: 40W.
Weight 2 Kgs. preamp and 3.5 kgs for the PSU.

Sensitivity (IHF 0.5V)

Line: 525mV into 100K.

THD Typically better than 0.05%.

Frequency Response: 10Hz - 200KHz. +/- 0.2dB.

Noise: better than -90dB.

Input overload: Infinite.

Maximum Output level: 45V

Output Impedance: 47 Ohm.

Stereo Separation: better than 100dB at 1KHz.

Hi,

Wow, sounds good. So do you have a link to the discussion on Frank's preamp? I think he calls it the ultimate preamp or something like that. There was a thread that I started to read about Frank's preamp, but I am not sure if that was the one.

So which did you build the one from Frank or Carlos?

Ray Bronk

Hi,

Wow, sounds good. So do you have a link to the discussion on Frank's preamp? I think he calls it the ultimate preamp or something like that. There was a thread that I started to read about Frank's preamp, but I am not sure if that was the one.

So which did you build the one from Frank or Carlos?

Ray Bronk

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/12042-franks-ultimate-tube-preamp.html

If you go to the end of the thread...I have pictures of my build...
Look at posts 324 and 327
As far as the output impedance goes...I have no idea. Throughout the original thread he talks about the low output z... so I suspect it's correct.
Here is my build:

Attachments

• frank-pre.gif
    frank-pre.gif
    11.6 KB · Views: 2,556
  • frank-pre-regps.gif
    frank-pre-regps.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,549
  • heater_ecc99ps.gif
    heater_ecc99ps.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 2,509
Last edited:
Hi,

Well, at this point, I am just looking for a good preamp to either buy or build. Frank's preamp is ok, certainly, but I don't need the phono part of things. So just the linestage will do nicely. I wonder if I could just use a single supply, or just one transformer. anyway, thanks for the info.

Ray Bronk

I really don't know how much benefit there is from the dual xfmrs...but I think you would probably be fine with one. I swapped to the 6N1P's in my Bijou...it's been a while and I'm kind of curious as to the difference. I don't think it's fair to rate it until it breaks in for a while... but it was initially a noticable step down in quality. I kind of look at it as the "WOW" factor. Right now it's not quite there. I'll break it in with a little Rush...and see how it does...

I think if you stick with the linestage version (no phono) and go with the one transformer...you would be pleased. It appears to me that 12AU7 and 12BH7A are interchangable directly...but possibly could be tweeked by a resistor change?

Last edited:
Hi, if you read the whole thread, Carlos has this favorite schematic that uses a 12AU7 that he likes versus the 6SN7 or the 6CG7 tube.

Now, gotta ask you because I can't see your pics because I am blind. So in some respects building this preamp won't be as hard to do as it would if it were a PCB. Anyhow, what did you end up doing as far as the supply and transformer. There's just the 12BH7/12AU7 tube and that's it. I saw the parts list, and some of it didn't understand what the stuff was. I'll go back and look at the parts list again. What did you do concerning the volume control? If memmory serves me right, he is using an Attenuator of 1 Meg. Don't think I can get a volume pot that big.

So if I don't hear from you tomorrow, I hope your Easter day is a nice one.

Ray Bronk

I used left over 3/4 inch cherry hardwood flooring for the case. The top is two pieces of aluminum separated by a piece of cherry wood. I used several pieces of terminal strips with posts to do the p2p wiring. Transformers and big caps are mounted on top, except for the 14v filament transformers are mounted underneath. I tried to place the components such that the other parts would reach. The star ground is a sheet of copper that I mounted to a board located under the transformers. The pictures in the thread show the guts well. Maybe you could get someone to describe them to you. I am using a Goldpoint 500k attenuator. I thought it was a "make before break" type...but it must not be, because I have to mute the circuit to avoid the annoying pops when adjusting it.

Last edited:
Hi Carlos,

Ok, reading your info you gave me, I am real new at this stuff, so bear with me. Your description of the power supply, that first cap 150 Uf probably at 400V? now are this configuration is that all in series off one leg of the diode bridge, having trouble visualizing the circuit.

We can take this offline and email me directly:

raybronk@gmail.com

Then you can give me more details about the circuit. Don't wish to hijax this thread. Thanks.

Ray Bronk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.