• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Looks like I can claim the first post! Hmmm what to throw on the pile....

Attachments

• 50c5amp.jpg
    50c5amp.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 94,252
Valco P-P

Guess I'll keep the ball rolling- This is my second attempt and current finished amp, based on a '40s PA design by Valco. Typical 6L6 PP. IIRC, the xformers are 30w Hammonds. Finished this one a couple years ago and still sounds pretty good, although there's some low level hum that still drives me nuts.

Attachments

• valco1.jpg
    valco1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 90,851
Reactions: 1 user
Thought I'd throw in my brother's 6sn7/300B P-P monoblock that is finally becoming a reality. It was built in partnership with an old friend of his. Chas(my brother) was responsible for the layout and construction of the chassis(machining, veneering,etc.,), while Mike designed and prototyped the circuit.

It's made of polished aluminum plate and veneered mdf, and has hundreds of hours put into the machining, etc., (for all four units). The transformer cover is fiberglass that was laminated over a mold and will have artwork applied.

Not your everyday amp.:)

Attachments

• cng_front.jpg
    cng_front.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 39,757
Reactions: 2 users
And another picture of one of the best sounding and also the vey cheapest PP penthode amp I have ever build. Had cost me about $75,- and beats every EL34 amp I have ever heard. It's completely build with military dump material wich cost about nothing. I really don't know wat I did but I never managed to build a better sounding penthode amp, even with the same tubes, better transformers and a lot more expensive parts. Just lucky I guess. It's build fully hardwired with ultrashort signal path a'la gainclone (didn't know at the time of building) and the whole thing is getting HOT HOT HOT, very HOT, every part of it, but it still work after 8 years.

Attachments

• ecl82pp2.jpg
    ecl82pp2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 32,692
Reactions: 1 users