• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

other channel unfinished;)

Attachments

• 000_0531.jpg
    000_0531.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 3,026
Hi arnoldc,

miklos just answered the question for me:D

They are power chokes.

I tried step-up transformer in the other 6C45 amp but the result was not as expected.

I used this amp to power full range/OB center channel. I wired LL1582 as 1:2 step up, but the sound was terribly thin, lost most of the mid-low. And strangely enough, it didn't sound any louder. Maybe very bad matching in there.

I tried severl matching resistor but it still sounded that way. Eventually I gave up. :(

Miklos - the output tubes are RCA 12aq5s. Except for the output transformers, and a change in caps to lower the input cutoff frequency, everything in my build jives w/ the schematic on the Decware forum. I think the output is around 12 WPC.

Note: last evening I hooked up my meager rega planar 2 & radioshack 9v phono preamplifier for a listen. While I don't think the radio shack phono pre really provides quite enough output voltage to drive el cheapo, I was none the less thoroughly impressed w/ the combination.

Scott.

The inside - nearly finished at this point:

final-inside.jpg

From above:

final-top.jpg

scott_m said:
Miklos - the output tubes are RCA 12aq5s. Except for the output transformers, and a change in caps to lower the input cutoff frequency, everything in my build jives w/ the schematic on the Decware forum. I think the output is around 12 WPC.

Note: last evening I hooked up my meager rega planar 2 & radioshack 9v phono preamplifier for a listen. While I don't think the radio shack phono pre really provides quite enough output voltage to drive el cheapo, I was none the less thoroughly impressed w/ the combination.

Scott.

The inside - nearly finished at this point:

final-inside.jpg

From above:

final-top.jpg

nice

;)

Here's my setup

All built during the last 18 months.

6J5 preamp - centre

2A3 monoblocks - Left & right

Remote PSU - bottom centre

Home built tapered quarter wave tubes with Fostex FE108E Sigma full range drivers.

Bass is supported by MJ Acoustics Active Sub (with phone on top) at extreme right.

Steve

Attachments

• 2a3 monos.jpg
    2a3 monos.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 3,911
No Bas it's a dead tube.

I won the trophy for progressing from valve audio newbie to having built a complete system in the space of one year using the advice of the forum members and my own reading of Morgan Jones.

Have a look here. This is my website which shows everything I built plus pictures from our forum meetings at the Eggborough Power Plant.

Steve