• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

ARITMA 6W Stereo Amplifier

Hello,

I'm from Romania and I have to show you my latest work. This is my 6W Stereo Amplifier. ARITMA was written on the box. I thought it's a good name for a home-made amplifier.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

For more photos and other tube projects I've made across the time, please visit:

http://www.lumeatuburilor.go.ro

Hello again,

Now I have some time to say something about the amplifier posted above (when I posted it I was at work):

The amplifier is build around 2 EL84 (so it is a SE) configured as pentodes (by default). Preamplifier is made with an ECC83.

For my amplifier, I have chosen Russian tubes (tastes... tastes... everyone with his tastes) so I used 6P14P (EL84) and 6N2P (ECC83). Filament power supply is regulated and well filtered (with 10.000uF capacitor) so no hum is induced. B+ is filtered by 4x220uF capacitors.

Rectification is done through silicium bridges.

Any questions, I'm happy to answer.

ALEKS

Holly Smokes!

ALEKSANDR said:
Hello again,Any questions, I'm happy to answer. ALEKS

Wow! Where did you get the handsome case, your layout inside seems perfect? How does it sound? Do you like it? And what speakers are you using. Approximately how much $$ to build it and can you tell us about the schematic? Is it from a kit?

P.S. Do I ask to much?
P.S.2 About time this thread turned around!

Shawn.

Hello,

The case is from an old power supply made in Czekoslovakia (hope I wrote it correctly) - that's before 1990 (these days it's Czech Republic). The name ARITMA was written on the case so I thought it's a perfect name for my amplifier. More pictures with the case (from it's entire construction process) could be found on my site, right at this address:

http://www.lumeatuburilor.go.ro/Aritma Stereo 6W/index.htm

Also the schematics is there. The schematics is my conception and the amplifier is not build from kits. All you see there is just my work. I spend about a year collecting parts and putting them back toghether. The entire work costed about $150 (although I had the tubes).

As for the speakers, a pair of Sony MF-450SS is what I use with the amplifier. It sounds sweet and bass response is quite good.

P.S.: When it's about tubes, you do not ask to much questions (as someone said before in this thread, "tubes passionates are friendlier").

ALEKS

Fantastic Work

ALEKSANDR said:
P.S.: When it's about tubes, you do not ask to much questions (as someone said before in this thread, "tubes passionates are friendlier").

ALEKS
That is an amazing statement! Only wonderful people can say things like that. It makes me happy to hang out here knowing that people think like this.

The Sony's look nice(I Googled them). You have done very well salvaging parts from other equipment. I love to recycle good parts but I think you have done just as good if not better than many people who use new components. I would have a hard time believing you but there it is...pictures=thousands of words!

Amazing work for recovered gear!

Shawn.

Hello Shawn,

Thank you for your words. In Romania, there are few people thinking like this. The vast majority think like: "it doesn't matter how it looks, it sound great" or "salvaged parts, new parts, the same but salvaged parts are cheaper or free".

During my life, I've met various people with various mentalities (I've been in other countries too and saw how people think there). I never limited myself to a single type of thinking / mentality and I think that helping other people is just about as great as helping yourself.

Sorry for the off-topic, but as I can see, tube-peoples tend to fill out this forum.

Now, my degree is not in old equippment (such as tubes), but automation and stuff. Tubes are my passion, I can remember when I was young I stood hours watching tubes glow... I tried to rescue old parts and give them another life in new technology mixed with old technology. Parts such as transformers (ugly thing by default) when cleaned and covered with some Aluminium tend to look great as in my ARITMA amplifier. And so on.

As for my site, I wanted to create a small community of electronists (or not) and to present their projects (anyone who wants to contribute with photos and text -- English and Romanian -- is welcomed), till now, only my projects are there, and it's a shame because we have great engineers who do great jobs but manifest some weird mentality and not every project they made looks as great to post on an Internet site, although the're experienced man and make great stuff.

Hope I did not bored anyone with this text and excuse-me for my English.

Regards,
ALEKS

958 tube

My latest preamplifier using the 958 acorn tube

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,709
Hello,

Thank you all for your words! I am flattered to hear that Romanian is not so hard to puzzle out. And thank you Giaime for you've seen the mistake there.

I will modify there only after we speak a little and clarify some things. As far as I know, PL84 was used in TV and radio sets meantime EL84 was used in stereo commercial amplifiers. The difference between them is the voltage of the heater (and amps.). Is this right?

ALEKS

Hello Aleksandr,

you're welcome.

Yes tube names are often misleading. PL84/15CW5 is the "P" valve (that means SERIES 300mA heater connections) of the EL86/6CW5.
You can see from the triode mode curves
http://www.tubes.mynetcologne.de/roehren/daten/el86pentode_as_triode.pdf
(thanks Tom!)
that it has a mu of about 7.5, gm = 7.5mA/V and rp ~ 1k.

EL84/6BQ5 has a mu of 17, an rp of 2k and a gm of 8.5mA/V, always in triode mode.

You can see that for PL84 the datasheets suggest replacing with:
http://www.nj7p.org/Tube1.php?tube=PL84

15CW5 (which is, aside from the heater, the same of 6CW5)
6HL5

and of course not 6BQ5.

As far as I know, there wasn't a P version of the EL84. But there are 10BQ5, 10GK6, 16GK6, 29GK6 that are meant for series string heaters.