• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Because I love the Luxman and Marantz look

Well I was going to sell my hummy, hissy old SP8, and I borrowed a Luxman CL-38uC with high hopes.......but the SP8 even with hum+hiss (lots of it) just sounded so much better, then I took it to a couple or repair guys......then I asked you clever folks on the forum to help and low and behold a (almost) hiss and hum free preamp.

But that wood case still was missing, so I made a box and pretended the SP8 was a bit more retro than it really is, and it sat better against my 211.

No hiss, hum, or sound quality was affected, but it does make me feel slightly better :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 06.52.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-22 at 06.52.27.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 893
OLD Hemis maybe?

Many engine builders used a black wrinkle finish on those giant valve covers back in the 70's. That paint is rather scarce here today. The common wrinkle finish will not handle the heat seen in valve covers.

Yes, that is why I went for the valve cover paint so it will handle the heat of rectifiers, transformers. We can also find a similar wrinkle paint on old typewriters and it was really durable. Seemingly and sadly hard to find now.

Hi,

Just finished this lamp based on the 866A, very nice glow, even sitting about 14 feet away. Not finished yet w the case, I’ll probably put some wood for the sides.
2 switches on the front, 1st one is for the heater and 2nd one is to apply voltage to the anode after about 1 minute.

BR
Eric

Attachments

• IMG_8558.jpg
    IMG_8558.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 768
  • GE.jpg
    GE.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
Brand New English Acoustics Stereo21c

British company English Acoustics just launched a reboot of the Leak Stereo 20

Looks pretty good, and they can do restorations too, you can have any colour you like as well!

English Acoustics - Home | Facebook

Attachments

• Stereo 21C_Bronze_English Accoustic 22465_lights_small.jpg
    Stereo 21C_Bronze_English Accoustic 22465_lights_small.jpg
    612.4 KB · Views: 664
  • Stereo 021c_Atlantis Blue_22586_small.jpg
    Stereo 021c_Atlantis Blue_22586_small.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 674
  • Stereo 021c_Atlantis Blue_22559_Lights_small.jpg
    Stereo 021c_Atlantis Blue_22559_Lights_small.jpg
    529.5 KB · Views: 682