• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

A couple of EL84 projects finished

EL84 PP - JS Opt

43676820415_d0c6f57790_b.jpg

30716132288_c6dcc4d87d_b.jpg

29648327617_8e97bb34ba_b.jpg

And my favorite, Tango Opt, same EL84 PP Design + 2 GZ34

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

43867729404_d67e12a009_b.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Many thanks,

Sure I can share some details about the build.

The case is made of 1.5mm aluminium sheet and bent on a small sheet metal brake. Technically you could do it using a bench vise and some angle iron as the sheet is pretty easy to bend. The rounded front was done in true ghetto style by bending it by hand over a CO2 cylinder about the size of a large fire extinquisher. The sides of the transformer shield are made of the same stuff but painted black.
The PCB is mounted on a separate sheet because I wanted to follow my obsession with no visible screws. The sheet is screwed to the wooden sides of the box. Since the PCB sits pretty deep in the box, I used some noval socket savers to get the tubes higher up out of the enclosure. Not necessary, but looks nicer.

The faux leather is just self-adhesive vinyl. Several brands are available. It's rated for 75°C and the hottest spot on the case gets to about 40°C after several hours so no problems there. I made the rings out of a solid aluminium bar which I turned on my lathe. They're press fit and glued to the case. The pilot light is pretty much in its original shape. It's a 12V vintage piece meant for automotive dashboard use and I just liked the way it looked, so I polished the lens and cleaned the aluminium ring on the lathe and decided make similar rings for all the other front panel attachments. The headphone socket is a modified Neutrik NYS221 stereo jack. I turned the front flanges off and press fit the aluminium ring on it.

It would be a bit of a stretch to call this a junk box build, but it's not far from it either. All the metal came from the scrapyard for 10€ and I have enough left to make at least one more amplifier box. The enclosure materials cost me roughly 10€ total. Well, 10€ and a lot of hours.

The transformers were sourced from discarded equipment. The main transformer was made in Switzerland and the smaller one was made in Finland. Only the Hammond (made in Canada) choke is almost new. I've had it for a long time and I've used it in some test builds but now it found a home in this amp.

I finished a new build yesterday, a SET KT-88 amplifier based on a proven design by Michael Abdullah. I only had an hour of so to listen with it but it does sound really good. I actually had this design built on a bud case but decided to give it a new pretty home.

Attachments

• P1030808.JPG
    P1030808.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 968