• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

A Beovis Valley.
I was hoping to swap between PCL86 and EL84, so the output transformers are 10k a-a and I can drop a GZ34 in place of the 1st smoothing cap to drop the HT. The voltage was still too high for a PCL86 though so I've had to go for the EL84s. The HT transformer is just a 1:1 isolation transformer. LM317's as ccs set to 40mA in place of the cathode resistor. Toroidy output transformers mounted upside-down.

Attachments

• P1010498.JPG
    P1010498.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 1,924
  • P1010497.JPG
    P1010497.JPG
    957.8 KB · Views: 1,883
  • P1010458.jpg
    P1010458.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 1,797
Mullard Edcor EL34

This is the improved Push-Pull Mullard EL34 tube amplifier circuit. The original uses the Dynaco A420 audio output transformers which have a primary impedance of 6600 ohms. The schematic is from the Dynaco Super Fidelity Output Transformers catalog. Obviously I didn't use Dynacos, and I used bigger caps in the power supply. My first tube amp, and I am very happy with it. Time to build another amp, now I have the confidence to do it.

Attachments

• dynaco_mullard_v2.jpg
    dynaco_mullard_v2.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 532
This is the improved Push-Pull Mullard EL34 tube amplifier circuit. The original uses the Dynaco A420 audio output transformers which have a primary impedance of 6600 ohms. The schematic is from the Dynaco Super Fidelity Output Transformers catalog. Obviously I didn't use Dynacos, and I used bigger caps in the power supply. My first tube amp, and I am very happy with it. Time to build another amp, now I have the confidence to do it.

Beautiful! Work of art!

A Beovis Valley.
I was hoping to swap between PCL86 and EL84, so the output transformers are 10k a-a and I can drop a GZ34 in place of the 1st smoothing cap to drop the HT. The voltage was still too high for a PCL86 though so I've had to go for the EL84s. The HT transformer is just a 1:1 isolation transformer. LM317's as ccs set to 40mA in place of the cathode resistor. Toroidy output transformers mounted upside-down.

can you comment a bit more ? :)

The toroidy’s? Well the cables tend to exit the toroidy's straight up, so I was expecting to have to cover them with some kind of shroud until I realised If I flipped them upside-down and cut a couple of holes in the panel where the cables exit the trannies then I can route the cables neatly into the chassis.

I’ve used rubber grommets and had to cut a grommet-sized hole in the transformers rubber mount to keep it neat. It works quite well.

This is an older pic with the pcl86’s still in place. This has a 50V toroidal transformer with a two transistor regulator providing 67.2V for the series heater chain (4xPCL86 & 2xPCC88). Since swapping to EL84’s I’ve switched to AC heating.

It's a great sounding amp. I was running an SE 45 but this EL84 amp has a much flatter response with my BC Acoustique Niger loudspeakers. Horses for courses I guesss?

Attachments

• P1010448small.jpg
    P1010448small.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 1,382

Fine business right there.