• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Just finished up a special Bottlehead Crack build I call the Coppermine Crack. This build took a bit of work: I mitered and routed the wood base, then copper leafed it, which is a fun experience if you haven't tried it. The plate of the amp is 12" x 12" x 0.1" copper. Some changes from the stock build are the 6SN7 signal tube, the excessive use of film caps for power and coupling, and a pair of oversized chokes. Hope you enjoy the pics.

For a detailed rundown of the build and more pics, visit:
DIY Audio Electronics from Zynsonix.com: Bottlehead Crack Coppermine Edition

Congratulations is a Roccoco style. Good for listen Haydn and Mozart...
If I show it to my wife, probably she wanna ask for get one. She is a classical girl...:D

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Mighty Midget

Even though I built this a while ago, I haven't really listened to it. I plugged it up a few days ago to some so-so speakers and it's been on non stop. It really sounds good to me. So glad I built it. It's Pete Millett's "Mighty Midget" SE 6T10 compactron tube amp.

Tom

Attachments

• Mighty Midget.jpg
    Mighty Midget.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 1,368
Ventilating electrons...

Even though I built this a while ago, I haven't really listened to it. I plugged it up a few days ago to some so-so speakers and it's been on non stop. It really sounds good to me. So glad I built it. It's Pete Millett's "Mighty Midget" SE 6T10 compactron tube amp.

Tom

Beautiful afternoon taking the air, one connection to the loudspeakers and enjoying the life in a live music session. Tell us please how it sound :D

I built the Spare Time Gizmo 6T9 amp. In fact I built two of them. Sold both. I have a few pairs of tubes but I understand they are now hard to get. I found some old images of them. A better tube is the 6EM7. I have built two amps with these. Extremely good sounding. 6EM7 amp is the yellow top (Sun Gold) and the monoblocks.

Attachments

• 6T9II.JPG
    6T9II.JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 1,251
  • SV101662.JPG
    SV101662.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Assemlbed_II.jpg
    Assemlbed_II.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • AssembledVI.jpg
    AssembledVI.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,071
I am new here, been lurking for a while...

This group is full of creative well informed people. Recently I was commissioned to make a "steam punk" blue tooth docking station. The client loved it and his father now wants one. So I figured I would post it here for review.
This was the first custom made amplifier I have done since thirty years ago when I made a few dozen guitar amps for spare money when I was a kid.

Attachments

• collage.jpg
    collage.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 625
I couldn't help doing the Edison label, just couldn't resist.
The fan shaped thing acts a cradle for the Bluetooth device the listener is using (I pod, I pad,smart phone etc.).
The ... um...er...'tubes' on the left make up the display of the pnp/npn color organ.
It looks cool, and sounds very good, no hissing, hums, defined highs and non colored bass.
The sound on the video is awful but in real life the sound is sweet.
Here's a link to the video to see the Jules Verne display in action....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_UsNIS5rhQ

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Beautiful afternoon taking the air, one connection to the loudspeakers and enjoying the life in a live music session. Tell us please how it sound :D

Long story short. I have been a live sound engineer for the last 37 years. Never really had a decent stereo, never turned the radio on in my truck, never plugged earbuds in to my phone. Sound is my career, my job. Big point source boxes back then, mostly line arrays now a days. I know how to listen to that. Don't get me wrong. It can be very passionate, very personal, but I kinda forgot about the music. Got in to diy stuff a couple years ago. Built this amp from Pete Millett. Great pcb, bom, advice. I've "listened" to more music in the last week than in the last 10 years. So how does it sound? To me, perfect.

Long story short. I have been a live sound engineer for the last 37 years. Never really had a decent stereo, never turned the radio on in my truck, never plugged earbuds in to my phone. Sound is my career, my job. Big point source boxes back then, mostly line arrays now a days. I know how to listen to that. Don't get me wrong. It can be very passionate, very personal, but I kinda forgot about the music. Got in to diy stuff a couple years ago. Built this amp from Pete Millett. Great pcb, bom, advice. I've "listened" to more music in the last week than in the last 10 years. So how does it sound? To me, perfect.
It's hard to beat single end tube amps especially SE UL pentode amps. Just my opinion guys. Though my main amp is an imposing 300B SE ($4K for parts alone) when recently I built an EL34 SE UL I realised how much closer the music these simple amps can get. My 300B SE (Silver Dragon) almost has too much detail which can be a little distracting while listening. As I said, just my opinion after 46+ years of DIY audio. Here's an image of the Silver Dragon (PS separate and not shown). The power tubes are TJ Full Music limited edition carbon plates.

Attachments

• FinMockupIIS.jpg
    FinMockupIIS.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 1,505
mhouston,
do you have a schematic of your UL EL34SE?
The original schematic has been around for quite a while and I built two of them. Virtually takes any tube: KT88, EL34, 6L6, 6V6 etc. But I asked guys on the diyaudioprojects forum to tweak the original. The posted schematic here is the result. I only used EL34 tubes in it in UL mode. A friend who had a number of Chinese PP amps took one listen to my amp (retro-34UL) and bought it on the spot. I wasn't intending to sell it. I'd only had it a week. The PS design is mine.

Attachments

• retroamp.jpg
    retroamp.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,439
  • retroPS.jpg
    retroPS.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,379
  • retro-34UL_I.jpg
    retro-34UL_I.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 1,367
I just assembled two of Oatley Australia's latest iterations of their famous headphone amps the K272C. Separate filament and B+ batteries and battery "health" LEDS for each. Now the kit comes with an OPA2134 chip. Better bass, better sound. The ABS plastic enclosures are Al lined and wire-wrap wire is used in the signal path. Switched 6.5mm phone jacks and power switch ensures little chance of leaving it on when not in use.

Attachments

• FinIII.jpg
    FinIII.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,301
  • FinIV.jpg
    FinIV.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 522
  • FinV.jpg
    FinV.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
It's hard to beat single end tube amps especially SE UL pentode amps. Just my opinion guys. Though my main amp is an imposing 300B SE ($4K for parts alone) when recently I built an EL34 SE UL I realised how much closer the music these simple amps can get. My 300B SE (Silver Dragon) almost has too much detail which can be a little distracting while listening. As I said, just my opinion after 46+ years of DIY audio. Here's an image of the Silver Dragon (PS separate and not shown). The power tubes are TJ Full Music limited edition carbon plates.

what are those chrome thingy next to the tube?
and what are their purpose?