• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Just finished up a special Bottlehead Crack build I call the Coppermine Crack. This build took a bit of work: I mitered and routed the wood base, then copper leafed it, which is a fun experience if you haven't tried it. The plate of the amp is 12" x 12" x 0.1" copper. Some changes from the stock build are the 6SN7 signal tube, the excessive use of film caps for power and coupling, and a pair of oversized chokes. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Finished-Internals.jpg

Completed-Crack-Coppermine.jpg

Completed-Crack-Top.jpg

For a detailed rundown of the build and more pics, visit:
DIY Audio Electronics from Zynsonix.com: Bottlehead Crack Coppermine Edition

Hi guys. My first headphone amp
That looked cool!

Either the tubes are big or the box small, so please let us know - what tubes have you been using?

After redoing the guts of my 5998A-SE and swapped to a big and yellow knob it looked like this. Got an 5998A-PSE on the way.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The marks around the ECC81 was done by the alu-ring (similar to the one around 5998A), but the socket was a bad apple and the new one didn't mach the ring.:mad:

(I have started to name my projects after Russian cities)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
My latest amp.

ECL86 SE mono amp. Built in one day. I've been away from SE amps for a while, got tired of them. On my 43th birthday nostalgia kicked in (my first amp was a PCL86 SE) so I built this to rememorate past feelings. Turns out I love its sound.. Haha, audio is a neverending story. Special features: UL, no cathode caps, last filter cap is a big Solen poly.

Attachments

• ecl86 amp.jpg
    ecl86 amp.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
ECL86 SE mono amp. Built in one day. I've been away from SE amps for a while, got tired of them. On my 43th birthday nostalgia kicked in (my first amp was a PCL86 SE) so I built this to rememorate past feelings. Turns out I love its sound.. Haha, audio is a neverending story. Special features: UL, no cathode caps, last filter cap is a big Solen poly.
Yes to build an amp in day is a real challenge. I have done it but had everything primed and ready to assemble. I'm a SE nut and lately moving back to SE ULs. I built one whole amp PS totally with Mundorf M-caps (polis) in the PS. Big and expensive but I feel it did add a special edge to the sound.