• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

"The chrome toaster" is a 6V6 SE amp that was originally a theatre amp. (Scophony-Baird) It uses a GZ34 rectifier and a 12SL7 and 6V6 per channel. Output trannies are Hammond 125ESE. The original output tranny has been retained as a filter choke. Sounds pretty good, but could do with more bass :)

I like it, but I suspect it will end up as a guitar amp head, its just waaaay too funky :)

Attachments

• chrome_toaster1.jpg
    chrome_toaster1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 11,281
O.K. here is another one. Might not look very special, but it is the piece of equipment wich still stays into my system for years now after swapping a lot of other components. Somethings you just fall in love with, so this little baby deserves a place here.

It's a tranformer coupled preamp using the Raytheon 5842 triode, with a totally over dimensioned power supply filled with Black Gates super e-caps. Wasn't any good according to many audiophiles those days, you had to use Paper/oil otherwise it was not audiophile. (electrolytics, yaach) Now all these same guys are raving about black gate as though they have invented them themselves. Sometimes I really get bored with this so called High End community with their flavour of the season trends. PEOPLE PLEASE DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE !!!!!!!!! The transformers are custom made on my own specifications by AE-europe, not that this is a garantee for qulity but it worked out just fine.

The sound:
It's got a little blur at low frequencys and is just a little bit restrained at the top end. Due to that it can sound a little bit bold sometimes but it is dynamic, dynamic and dynamic and that's just what I love about it and that's the fact why it hasn't been replaced after such a long time. I've heard other pre's perform better in some respect but until now never in the dynamic department.

Attachments

• euridice 3.jpg
    euridice 3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10,887
True, but at least the sound stage sticks together that way,

No kidding, I just think it makes more sense to spend your money in good quality components instead of fancy looking housing. I don't care if it looks typical homebrew, it's what's inside that counts, and wood is a lot easier to work with at home and it's cheap too.