• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Re: Re: post 1273 ...

FastEddy said:
The picture of your listening room.

Windbourn: Wondering your opinion on room treatments generally = it seems that that standup fireplace may not be the ideal corner absorber ... Yes/No?

;)

I'm renting the house, no other options available. ;)

The corner absodber makes no harm; I had to dump windows and a closet door, and put some foam under the mask hanging on the wall. No rattles/colorations from the fireplace.
Anyway, I rent the house... "As is" ;)

audiomanics said:
More than enough! Class-D endstage:) BTW the whole frame is machined from 10mm aluminum toolingplate.

Kees

Oh mine lord, I did not know it is class D! :bigeyes:

In such case you've bult it for military purposes! :D

I was thinking of class D powered directly without a power transformer, with hi-pot input transformer, for active speaker, of course! 170V for 2 Ohm load... :rolleyes:

Wavebourn said:

I was thinking of class D powered directly without a power transformer, with hi-pot input transformer, for active speaker, of course! 170V for 2 Ohm load... :rolleyes:

Wrong... This principle works like this: an 400KC signal is Amplitude Modulated, and amplified. At the end all HF is rejected with a coil.. Only the envelope is lead to the speakers.
This system has a very high efficiency of ~90% !! so even at full load only about 100W of heat is dissipated..

Kees

audiomanics said:

Wrong... This principle works like this: an 400KC signal is Amplitude Modulated, and amplified. At the end all HF is rejected with a coil.. Only the envelope is lead to the speakers.
This system has a very high efficiency of ~90% !! so even at full load only about 100W of heat is dissipated..

Kees

Hmmm... What is wrong? To eliminate power transformer becouse it is class D? I don't see any connections....

And is it really AMPLITUDE modulated, or pulse-wide?

Wavebourn said:
One more, unfinished...

4002-na-komode.jpg
WOW

:cool: Perfect design!Can you post one image inside?

Sorry for the bad English but I'm from Bulgaria and i have don't speak english very well.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
my photo

Hello,
I have been browsing through all these photos. Some of them very nice and some a little insane. So i will post mine a platter ordered and made by the late Thomas Scheu 3 years ago. Still not in use but hope to finish it before the end of next year. The arm is a Fidelity Research 64S and the platter is designed for flywheel effect and use with a normal length arm. Couldn't find a 66S. Did ask a co worker to manufacture a replacement for the original arm base so now i have one in stainless steel like the arm itself and one that has a grip that makes the original one look a little funny. BUT one like the stainless steel would have raised the price considerably. It did take 3 hours to make one. 3 and a half to make two.
All this constucting takes to much time. Hardly have time to do the listening. Greetings Eduard
P.s. I think a good student at a vocational college can manufacture this kind of arm base with the cnc machinary available at school.

Attachments

• pic 010.jpg
    pic 010.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,299
Re: #1270

miklos said:
Hi,
What is the triode/pentode TV tube used in your hair like class A construction and how does it driving the fets?:D

8AL9, or 24JZ8. I tried both (8AL9 filament powered by rectified with Shottky bridge 6.3V; 24JZ8 connected in series to the 50V rail)
How does it drive? Easily. :D
Pentode is in triode mode loaded by a CCS, they are directly coupled (through a voltage shift shunted by a capacitor - I use bi-polar anode power), with a feedback from the 2'nd anode to the 1'st cathode with a current from the negative rail for compensation. Current on the 2'nd half of the tube is the maximal allowed by specs. Resistor in the 2'nd cathode is not needed, but I use it anyway bypassed by a big cap, to take a voltage from it for the relay logic that protects speakers (it presents when tubes are hot).
Class A follower is AC coupled by a capacitor, and it has own servo opamp on infrasounds. CCSs for FETs are made on BJTs. No global feedback from output of the follower. Triangles from 20 Hz to 20 KHz on a full swing are straight.
Also, I used couple of 6E1P indicators (analog of EM80) -- look cool in the darkness, like windows on the top of the tower are winking.