• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Just finished the spud amp last night. A pair of 6T9 compactron tubes and a 6CA4 rectifier.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those WIMA caps are comically large.

Attachments

• Amp.jpg
    Amp.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 2,209
  • Gut.jpg
    Gut.jpg
    694.7 KB · Views: 2,174
Why not include the response number of the kodabmx quote?
It makes things easier to understand.
Jeezzz, I notice that it is the number 1000 page of this wonderful thread !!

There should be a little blue box with > in the quote block that will take you to the post the reply is based on. See my post here - you should see that box next to your user name. This happens when you click the Quote button on the post you are replying to. It should take you directly to the post in question. If that's NOT happening, say more about it.

British company English Acoustics just launched a reboot of the Leak Stereo 20

Looks pretty good, and they can do restorations too, you can have any colour you like as well!

English Acoustics - Home | Facebook
Looks good. JJ tubes too. I use them a bit and have found them excellent especially for the money. And I can get them locally in a few days.

that seems a little warm to me. You got some against vent holes? Even passive ventilation would be helpful. A few holes top and bottom no big deal?

Nah. In theory, this should handle a chassis temp of about 80C and then it'll still work but not for 20 years.

For instance, I spec 5W resistors where there is only maybe 1 or 2 watts... Sometimes, I even spec 105C 22,000+ hour long life caps so I can maybe build something that will last me 10's of years. Tubes get hot. The box they are in can get hot, too. FWIW the front is only 55C :D

Frankly, this design only dumps waste heat into the chassis in the form of RC filters and bleeder resistors (the main culprit). Most of the heat in this design comes from the tubes themselves. I say the chassis is that hot because the tubes are hot but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
There should be a little blue box with > in the quote block that will take you to the post the reply is based on. See my post here - you should see that box next to your user name. This happens when you click the Quote button on the post you are replying to. It should take you directly to the post in question. If that's NOT happening, say more about it.

@ Carlp:

Well it is for the first time that I noticed that blue box ! :eek:
O.K. Thanks for pointing this.
Joe.