• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

811A

Goth amp USA design 150 watts 1.5k P-P
Uses a toriod out put transformer I have used Toriody out put transformers, made in Poland

Attachments

• gothamp ab.jpg
    gothamp ab.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 957
YES !
Audio for me means listening AND building.
The satisfaction of listening to good music with your own made stuff is huge.
Try to top that with bought commercial audio-gear.

The PT8-triode preamp on the top of the rack.
The Silvercore proto riaa-stage one below.
The 35TG-poweramps left and right (giving a nice glow as well).
The 6N7 headphone amp bottom left.
The 6C45PP SPUD bottom right.
The Caeles air bearing turntable is obvious…..

Currently i'm only using the Eimac 35TG amps for driving the speakers (open baffle with Fertin 38EX fieldcoils and Feastrex D9NF's) but as the 6C45 SPUD is also very good sounding i'm going to use these in an active system. Project for the near future….hobby continious…..

Happy listening.
Reinout

Attachments

• DSCN1883.JPG
    DSCN1883.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 701
  • DSCN1859.JPG
    DSCN1859.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 680
  • DSCN1887.JPG
    DSCN1887.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCN1888.JPG
    DSCN1888.JPG
    791.5 KB · Views: 350
  • foto 6.JPG
    foto 6.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 348
Yes, I have to say I stare at my amps. Part of it is that the image is in the center and thus the amp is a stand in for the musicians. One knows too that things are happening in those constructions even while we know full well that we cannot see such actions. It’s ones’ imagination at work to stare at you amps... and yes, a bit of pride!

Attachments

• 14D10AC2-D40B-421C-82EF-490559837593.jpeg
    14D10AC2-D40B-421C-82EF-490559837593.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 383
Have you ever listened to music while staring at the amps you designed in awe and amazement? I can't be the only one!
My projects involve months/years planning. Brief building phase. Years of listening, tweaking, staring and self satisfaction. I also have a commercial system that has not been turned on in past 5 yrs. DIY, a daily event.

Attachments

• 20200505_155403 (1).jpg
    20200505_155403 (1).jpg
    771 KB · Views: 390
Joe,
you are absolutely right....

But

i had my audio-hobby ages before i met her (and married her).
Before i met her my living room was equipped with the audio-set and 1 (one...no kidding) chair. No table, other chairs, whatever…..i was the "ultimate" single.

All house-input (table ? Chairs ? Seats? etc etc ) was HER input and i was happy with that.
Everything changed when Alex entered our lives. He is 9 now but his influence on our lives (and my hobby) was HUGE. I could understand perfectly when my wife said that the 400 kg power amplifier was to be gone after the ETF in 2017 (European Triode Festival). Luckily i met a person who was generous enough to swap my 1500 V power amp (400 kg) to a ridicilious over-the-top turntable also of 400 kg.
We settled our swap during the ETF....my wife was not that amused with another 400 kg of audio-gear BUT understood my hobby and couldn't deny the absence of 1500 volts....(totally unaware of the need of a seperate compressor...hi hi).

Happy audio.
Regards,
Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_9760.JPG
    IMG_9760.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_9776.JPG
    IMG_9776.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 277
It was an evolution ..

If I make a setup like Reinout's or the wlowes setup my wife would divorce me :D
It all started with my love of motorcycles...?..??
We made a deal... I'd abandon dangerous motorcycle and she'd let me get 9' billiard table I always wanted. That demanded a large man cave and produced 20x25' room in current basement. Now it is the listening room which happens to have a pool table. She agrees it is my room and we're both happy!! We joke that an alarm will go off if she enters.;)
In her living room we have a very civilized stereo with Totem bookshelf speakers that only get used for background music if people come by.

Attachments

• Phone back up Aug 23 2014 125.jpg
    Phone back up Aug 23 2014 125.jpg
    654.8 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:
Thanks!
These monoblocs are each using two Triad VPT18-13800 (250VA each) with the primaries interleaved for OPT, a Triad VPT18-8800 (160VA) for the heater supply (~11.6VDC), and a 572VA 120V:124V PT set up with a voltage doubler for main B+. The heater supply also runs two DC-DC boost converters, one for C- supply (-105V), the other for the VA/PI/Driver (530V). They put out 112W RMS @ 30Hz and they never cease to amaze me :)

Rebuilt my "Brute Force" headphone amp. It was originally a mu-follower with paralleled 6SN7s into paralleled 6BX7s and sounded very good with high impedance headphones, but I wanted something that could drive low impedances without transformers. I found a schematic for an Aikido front end driving a White cathode follower so I ripped out the old circuit, keeping the regulated 300V power supply, and just built it. So externally it's identical, with the same tubes, but with a completely different circuit underneath :)

Attachments

• IMG_6127.jpg
    IMG_6127.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 774
Finished my SIT push-pull project. It is playing now and I am not sure I will be able to make something better than that so I may stop trying :) The circuit is unusual and the idea came in a conversation with one of the friends as a wild option for his PP output transformer: the phase splitter transformer is driven from both 'ends' - from the input signal and in phase from the output.

It looks like it is a thing to safely store money :) but so far I am happy with everything about it.

Attachments

• Mriya PP front.jpg
    Mriya PP front.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 559
  • Mriya PP back.jpg
    Mriya PP back.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 545
  • Mriya PP guts.jpg
    Mriya PP guts.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 547