• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

Finally, got at least one of those old almost-finished projects done.:yes:

It's a Darling built on PCB from Diytube.com. Sounds very nice but I have to be careful not to disturb my neigbors.

Attachments

• Darling-30.jpg
    Darling-30.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,292
  • Darling-31.jpg
    Darling-31.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,279
  • Darling-29.jpg
    Darling-29.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,259
Joined 2016
Paid Member
SSMH

Not nearly as awesome as some of the recent posts on this gallery (V8!!!) but my first tube amp so y'all have to suffer pics from my brag book.

It's the Dsavitsk version of the circuit but as P2P. Managed to build it without fault so it worked first go. mostly Kiwame resistors, a couple of Shinkohs. May change the Pana FC's on the output later but for now I am happy. It is silent except that at full volume with no music on you can just ever so faintly hear a radio somewhere.

(can't believe how warm it is - can see myself crouching over it in winter to warm my hands)

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,176
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,156
Last edited:
So here's a recent project. It's Gary Kaufman's 6EM7 amp but running 13EM7 tubes instead, and 6AY3B/6BS3A dampers as rectifiers (nice low drop for my marginal toroidal PS transformer). I built this to try out a DC design and because my first amp back in 2006 was Fred Nachbaur's Miniblok amp that uses the 13EM7 amp, which I LOVED.

Nothing pretty but I was in a hurry to get it done because it had been so long since I'd built anything. In fact, such a hurry I haven't received my second Edcor OPT so I'm using a Hammond 125CSE in the left channel. Nor have I cased it up yet.

The amp is direct coupled between the driver section and power section. Perhaps about 2.5wpc IIRC - I haven't tried to measure it. It's a very inexpensive amp to build the way I built it and for that it's a stunning sounding amp. Mids and highs are clear and airy, bass abundant. The only issue I have at the moment is the low end isn't as tight and clear as I'd like. It's quite good but it doesn't quite meet the bass of the Eli Duttman designed 6BM8 "dirt cheap SE" amp behind it (about 1.8wpc). That amp, by comparison though, isn't as "airy" and clear sounding as the 13EM7. The 6BM8 sounds a little more like a solid state amp and I prefer Gary's design most of the time. Both are surprisingly good in any case!

PS - I think I posted about the 6BM8 a while ago (several years at least). It uses global nfb and an input cap selected to roll off the low end at the input. I may try an input cap in the 13EM7 to see if that helps. I don't know what OPT saturation sounds like, but maybe that's the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_2408.jpg
    IMG_2408.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 1,207
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    971.9 KB · Views: 1,303
  • IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    925.5 KB · Views: 1,357
Last edited:
Vacuum Tube Amplifier 2 x 50 W

My latest project is finished. It is a close stereo copy of the vacuum tube power amplifier from the 1973 RC-29 RCA Receiving Tube Manual.

Best regards, Frans.

Attachments

• RCA1.jpg
    RCA1.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 1,046
  • RCA2.JPG
    RCA2.JPG
    813.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • RCA3.JPG
    RCA3.JPG
    759.3 KB · Views: 486
  • RCA8.jpg