• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

what kind of preamp is it? Grounded grid?

I have no Idea about Grounded grid or not, I just make it as this schema

Attachments

• schema.gif
    schema.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 6,495
Hi John,

the tubes are ez81's and 6sn7. The preamp uses a half 6sn7 per channel.

The transformer and 2 chokes are indeed custom made by AE.
They are wonderful and the company is very nice to deal with.

Rest of the components: Riken Ohm, Elma attenuator & switch, auricaps, black gates, silver wire, JJ & Aerovox capacitors.

It's only my second tube amp and I got a lot of assistence from someone in Holland. Everything via email, I never even met the guy! Isn't the internet wonderful?

He told me I could change it to class A if I use the other half of the 6sn7. So I think that's next!

Matt.

We took photos and wrote letters, then we looked at our trusty tube databooks and read our tube magazines.

When we wanted to share amplifier design we sketched on a bulliten board at the local radio club and discussed problems about the design with certified professionals whom live in our own back yard so we can go over and look at what they're doing.

The internet still sucks in those perspectives :p

In my opinion I still love face to face discussions about tube gear.

And you can borrow equipment/tools or supplies or when a person feels pitty or has a spare he can give you a component you can ask if he wouldn't mind donating.

When there is a discussion in real life about tube topics between people I can listen in I can hear their experience or emotions about a paticular design and actually see them express their joy through the hobby.

I find myself wanting that face to face ability from when I turn on my computer to the time I turn it off because it is not only the technology barrier that is preventing a great deal of people from learning about this hobby, it's the way it is organised, the entire internet is based upon search engines where you require the knowledge beforehand about what you want to learn to even merely glance upon it let alone understand it.

Whereas in a library or life you can simply ask someone why this isn't doing this or how does this thing I'm pointing at work and what's it called? You can't do that on a computer!

Nor can you pick up a well written book by someone in the early-late 50's with an incredible ability to explain a topic clearly for both your enjoyment and paticular interest and of course helpful knowledge.

My 2A3 power amp, now in a new home :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The wooden base is made from Philippine ebony hardwood.

Parts complements:

MagneQuest DS-025 output transformers, Hammond 372FX power transformer, Hammond choke, Hammond filament transformers, all Riken resistors, Dale wirewound cathode resistors, MIT RTX coupling capacitors, Black Gate bypass capacitors, Audience cable internal wiring, Solen/Nichicon Muse power supply capacitors.

How is hardwood to work with in frame bases of that thickness? and what notches does it use?

Btw the black wooden base really matches the transformers and black-base tubes, the red RCA 6SL7 sort of make a bold statement saying HEY I'm here! which is also backed up by the nicely-white steel.

Of course that's if you want to define it as art, which it is of course, great work!:D

jamesjung21 said:
Can I have a look at the scheme?
How does it sound like?:hphones:
hi, it is JE Labs SRPP 2A3, found on his website and Angela.com
sounds good to me :)

Layberinthius said:
How is hardwood to work with in frame bases of that thickness? and what notches does it use?

I had it custom made, as i do not posess the skills. the aluminum top plate is what i made, cut from 2mm aluminum plate and i used Bradrad and a drill press to make them holes :)
Btw the black wooden base really matches the transformers and black-base tubes, the red RCA 6SL7 sort of make a bold statement saying HEY I'm here! which is also backed up by the nicely-white steel.

Of course that's if you want to define it as art, which it is of course, great work!:D
thanks ;)