• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

6550 UL

6550 UL

Attachments

• dsc00507.jpg
    dsc00507.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7,736
More than a year ago I built the OTL below based on A. Ciuffoli's v8.2 OCL here
I am so happy with it that I intend to live with it for many years. And this statement coming from an avid DIYer is itself a great compliment for the design ;)

After looking others people's excellent work here, I wish I had paid more attention to the looks though...

Attachments

• dcp_0475.jpg
    dcp_0475.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 7,215
Yeah not bad at all you can take out each section and work on it independently :p

I'm a tad worried about those transformer windings coming too close to the cut vent holes at the 'front' of the amp, if a kid comes along and pulls on the wires it /could/ get cut :\

Other than that an excellent display of components above!

Good job !

I will post my 6GW8 aka ECL86 SE amp soon I just need to get the last tin of film developed and it'll be next :p

It is a "HMV" MW/Gramaphone combo which I recently managed to surgically remove the detector and preamplifier circuitry aswell as replace most capacitors.

It was begining to crackle like nuts after it heated up and I always knew it was the leaky (literally) electrolyctic power supply capacitors so I placed 4 new 10uF 450v caps in parallel/series giving 20uF at 900volts...

Kind of overkill x4 :p

It has been working like a charm with only two Mullard tubes in all (as it's a SS rect circuit) for about 8+ hours now and I haven't heared a peep out of it since :D.

It's truly lovely to have a nice glow behind you again.

Later down the track I have a brass screwed aluminium chassis up the back shed I intend on transplanting it into for a compact arrangement and replacing the two very shaky 9-pin sockets :p
Maybe even transfer it onto tube rectification.

Personally, I find it unappetizing, I wouldn't be surprised that later down the track I would simply re-use the chassis for a Phillips EL84 circuit with these fine Ekco trannies I have sitting around btw, what does a Phil EL84 go for nowdays? :)

Cheers.

This is a 6B4G SET that I have been working on. 6SL7 drivers, cathode follower driving the output tubes. NOS Mullard GZ32 rectifier, NOS Sylvania 6B4G, and NOS GE 6SL7. Schottky diodes and a small toroid provide DC filaments.

Great sounding output transformers are from a pair of 1950s studio reel-to-reel decks. They are open frame, but covered up by painted Twinings tea tins! :smash:

Attachments

• 6b4g_1.jpg
    6b4g_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 5,022
Hehe, of course it was an old box that was being replaced... No-one at work wanted it, so I grabbed it!

As for the twining tea tins, they only just fitted the transformers, but they came up brilliantly and really look the part.

All up this amp has cost me all of $US150... :D

Originally posted by ShiFtY And the obligatory "all lit up" shot:

Yes I can't help but be torn apart between the black cans at the back and the tubes at the front, I think that sticker on the front transformer gives it a vintage feel, moving towards look-alike PA amps of the yester years with the original chassis paint :p along with the ol tubes, the rect tube fits in rockin :)

The black knob at the front is NOS 'guitar' style isn't it?

I could probably get it from that vintage restoration shop for ol guitar gear...

Everyone round here don't really use em as they don't fit in, but I'm in the middle of a diy amp that could really do with them...