• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Kofi Annan in: "300beee!" or "Kofi Gets a Toy"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So the story goes, me and Mrs. Annan are about to have a bit of a windfall. Its never happened before to the Annans and probably won't happen again, so its time to think big, act irrationally and ooze irresponsibility. That means I get a toy.

Given that, the question is what do I build?

Now, I still have my hooks in the Bevois Valley push pull amplifier-- I'll probably order parts for that really soon. But the fact remains that I think I could tackle a project that would require more financial resources as long as I act before Mrs. A changes her mind.

I have thought about a 300b SET for some time now, and I think I'd maybe like to build a pair of monoblocks. The question, of course, is which design?

Now I know I'm going out on a limb here asking for people on DIYAudio to espouse an opinion, but maybe just this once you could let me know how you really feel.

In a post earlier, I mentioned the possibility of working on a 300b and Thorsten's "Monkey on a Stick" was mentioned as being a frontrunner. Another possibility, of course, would be the FI Primer or the Angela Instruments version.

Still, I'd like to hear what you think would be best for me to rush headlong into without regard to my future financial well being. I'd say I could spend about $1K or so on the project, although Mrs. Annan and I have not discussed the dollars (so don't tell her, OKAY?!?).

Can I get a witness?

Kofi

Thanks for keepin' it real, Robski666! I'll check it out.

As far as the 300b goes, I think the drd 300b in this thread is really interesting. I was pointed to this one before, but I never acted-- sometimes it takes me a while.

So, any thoughts on this one? I built Thorsten's Phono Pre and I absolutely love it, so this might be a good fit for me.

Kofi

Mr. Annan

everyone built a 300B once in lifetime. Is it going to be you the next one? I remember a nice and recent project by Jim Doyle ... the guy used a cheap & strong & politically correct 811A (class A2) parafeed at 450V B+.

Mr. Annan will you be the next one?

Gianluca

I think the drd 300b in this thread is really interesting
As good as any out there in my opinion. The thing is that once you have the 300B's, powertransformer, chokes, output transformers, psu caps.. you can go ahead and change the driver configuration to see which you like most...without any big expense... then when you like what you have .... you can start adding a trick or tweak...

At the moment I am playing with a d3A choke loaded driver...simple, effective and good sounding. The drd types are the exception really in that they need higher voltages than average...so once you have power transformers that have multiple taps..the 300b world is your oyster.

Well, if your looking for pearls such as this, hamfests are fabulous places to visit. You wont find many 300Bs, but all sorts of iron and glass baubles to snatch from the deep.

Attachments

• pict0393.jpg
    pict0393.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2,919
Hi Kofi,

sorry about the 833 thing i couldn't help myself thinking SET and remembering the pictures Greorge posted of his 833 looked awsome, and I was just trying to help out with justification for spending more money, ;o)

I also looked at Welborne site and my they are expensive and the drb isn't that complex. I kinda like the version in the link although if it's SET why use a pentode as a driver?

Robert

Sorry for the delayed response...

everyone built a 300B once in lifetime. Is it going to be you the next one?

Let's hope Mrs. Annan doesn't have a change of heart.

Please do yourself a favour and build the d3A/300B DRD thingie. It's really worth it...

Luis! Good to have a response from you! I have questions:

First, where did you get your motor run capacitors and is there a reason for paralleling these rather than going for one value that's close to the sum of the parallelled caps? Also, is the amorphous OPT really necessary or can I get away with the non-amorphous? In addition, is there a way I can get the word "amorphous" into more conversations? Its a cool word.

Amorphous.

Also, the D3a driver tube may be a bit tough to find. Any recommendations on a substitute?

As good as any out there in my opinion. The thing is that once you have the 300B's, powertransformer, chokes, output transformers, psu caps.. you can go ahead and change the driver configuration to see which you like most...without any big expense... then when you like what you have .... you can start adding a trick or tweak...

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

sorry about the 833 thing

Why be sorry?!? I love the open exchange of new suggestions. Not in a like-I-love-Mrs.-Annan-after-I've-had-a-couple way, but its love just the same! Thanks!

Also, instead of monoblocks, I may try and cut a corner and get one power supply for the whole shebang. Would I just need to increase the mA rating for the power transofrmer?

Amorphous, amorphous wherefore art thou?

Also, instead of monoblocks, I may try and cut a corner and get one power supply for the whole shebang. Would I just need to increase the mA rating for the power transofrmer?
Basically yes....that is all there is to it. Don't forget that you need enough juice for the filaments as well. Not just for your b+.

Amorphous, well yes..you can skip the amorphous transformers..there are many factors that make for a good sounding output transformer...the core is only one of those factors.

But I suspect once your amp is up and running..you will start wondering how big an improvement it would be to get amorphous...In that case go straight for the amorphous...if you are a headstrong, balanced sort of person. In other words not an audiophile but a music lover..force yourself to accept that a wonderful sounding 300b amplifier need not sound just that 5% (if that) better than it already is (maybe not even better but different) and spend the extra cash on "software" to feed into your amp...or a nice gift for Mrs. Annan.
:D

Amorphous....amorphous.....and I sing to myself...what a wonderful word..

Hi Kofi,

About the caps you can go with one of the same value of the parallel caps in the schematic. I got my caps at cricklewood electronics in London...I'm sure that you could find some GE motor run on ebay for good price also.

Yes amorphous is a cool word...amorphous, amorphous, amorphous.

In spanish it's similar to ugly or deformed...but hey, it's sounds just beautiful on my system. As I said on the original thread, I didn't try anything else. I could only trust the general buzz about this type of transformer and went with it. I totally happy by the way. One observation; the sound is still opening up...I guess that the run in time is quite long with this kind of core.

Siemens d3A show up regularly at ebay, sometimes for pretty good prices (I just grabbed some for 7,50$ each, I don't know if I should be advertising this!)

Good luck with the planning ordering etc...by the way kofi, thanks for your thread regarding Thorsten's phono. I got tons of great info about hands on building, in fact I'm currently collecting the parts to build Thorsten's "el phono cheapo" let's see who finish first!

Bas sorry, I still have to send you some stuff.

Take care. Best whishes for the new year.

Luis

Basically yes....that is all there is to it. Don't forget that you need enough juice for the filaments as well. Not just for your b+.

Thanks!

About the caps you can go with one of the same value of the parallel caps in the schematic. I got my caps at cricklewood electronics in London...I'm sure that you could find some GE motor run on ebay for good price also.

Good deal! Thanks!

Siemens d3A show up regularly at ebay, sometimes for pretty good prices

Still looking for the good prices, but I'm patient...

by the way kofi, thanks for your thread regarding Thorsten's phono. I got tons of great info about hands on building, in fact I'm currently collecting the parts to build Thorsten's "el phono cheapo" let's see who finish first!

Don't thank me-- thank Thorsten. I'm just the guy who asks the questions.

I've had mine finished for some time and I absolutely love the sound. Try it. You won't be disappointed. Oh-- and let us know when you finish and what you think.

More questions:

Where did you get your PSU transformer? Also, what about the common mode choke on the filament? Is it a Plitron? No? Well what is it then?!? ANSWER ME!?!

Oh.. right... gotta give you time to respond. Sorry.

Kofi

Amorphous!

I just like the word. It gives me confidence. Amorphous ... amorphous. It's got a sort of woody quality about it. Amorphous. Amorphous. Much better than `newspaper' or `litterbin'.

Frightful words.

Perfectly dreadful.

Ugh! Newspaper! ... litterbin ... dreadful tinny sort of words. Tin, tin, tin.

Sausage! :spin:

Sausage ... there's a good woody sort of word, `sausage' ... amorphous.

Cheap transformers, 480V industrial and choke input might work.

Hi all,

About Thorsten's phono...well yes, we all should thank him (I did already) but I also thank you for having the guts to ask all the questions that I would be afraid to ask. You're the man.

The mains transformer is from diyparadiso in Belgium but I'm thinking a new one from vt4c.com

Please note that filament supply for the d3A is supposed to be 6,3 Volts. Thorsten advices to run in at low 5,5. See, as I told you before I was afraid to ask why and just did it. I'd like compare how the sound changes using different voltages, say 6, 6.1 and 6.3. The common mode choke is from rs components.

Right now I'm thinking of trying Guido Tent's filament supply for the 300B...just to see how does it sound.

The inductance for the Lundahl anode choke is listed at 270H in the factory PDF. Look it up on the factory site. I ordered another couple anode chokes from tribute in the netherlands...it's supposed to be a big improvement but it's going to take awhile to deliver.

Best wishes. I'll let you know when I finish the phono stuff...

Luis

kofi annan

i thought long and hard
before posting for you
i see you have almost decided
and it probably is good
but is it this good?

unfortunately i can't say amorphous
so i say PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

PARTRIDGE

looking forward

dave dove

Attachments

• aikido300bxls.jpg
    aikido300bxls.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,586
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.