• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A BIG SCRATCH in my speakers? Help me please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

OK we now have 2 pages of a thread and a PSU schematic that shows a single vacuum diode shorting the HV winding, instead of the proper full wave rectifier or two diodes. As drawn the PSU will not work either with a 274B or GZ37 or ANY rectifier in this universe, because the last time I looked, Kirchoff was dead, which makes it very difficult to change his laws! I know it may be a minor quibble but it suggests that the original poster really has no idea what he is doing, and we would all like to think this is not the case.

:xeye:

Is Kirchoff dead?:D

- the grid leak resistor for the 300B

250k Dale

- the coupling capacitor trom the anode of the 5842 to the grid of the 300B

0.47uF/630V MKP

- the cathode resistor for the 300B - the cathode bypass capacitor for the 300B

V=72,5v+/- and I=60mA+/- (w22 and MKP/400V)

The amp has “ultra path” cap.

Is it a CCS loaded 5842, where the CCS is placed where normally the anode resistor would be?

Yes it is.

I assume it is solid-state?

Yes it is.
Something like: http://home.pacifier.com/~gpimm/56 C4S preamp.gif

Katapum

Hi,

A friend gave me this solution (see attached file). Schematic shows PSU only at start up (switch up). What do you think?

Katapum

Attachments

• psu_v7_b_5a.jpg
    psu_v7_b_5a.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 99
Hi,

In your topology, the 5842 heats slower than the 300B. As supply voltage builds up quickly , the current source charges up the coupling cap to the 300B, and this charging current flows almost entirely through the grid of the 300B, because the 5842 doesn't sink current yet. This causes the 300B to operate at slightly positive grid voltage during the entire time the supply voltage rises, and draw excessive current. When the voltage comes up after the 5842 has heated, the tube does sink current and by doing so, it saves your 300B quite some punishment by reducing the speed at which the coupling cap is charged and its ultimate voltage. So to make a long story short: if you make the change you posted in post #17, and make sure you switch on the HT only after the 5842 has heated, you're probably safe. You may also just leave the GZ37 in place. Does the 5824 have a cathode decoupling cap? This also provides extra safety, and a lower driver impedance.

I hope this helps. At least we have a good idea about the cause of the arcing, and how to prevent it.

Jurgen

Hi,

So I have two solutions to solve the amplifier problem.

One as Jurgen refer the amplifier should work with GZ37.

Another is inserts a “bleeder” resistor (tuned to draw 2x10mA like 5842 stages) like I draw in post #22 (not #17). When warm up is finished I will open the switch.

Am I right?

Another problem in my PSU amplifier (and nobody refer) is the last PSU cap. It’s a 100uF but only 400V (and I spent a lot of money… they are Audyn caps). Maybe now is dead (I only have a DMM to measure 40uF caps, nothing more). What do you think?

PS: first and second PSU caps are motor run.

Katapum

Hi,

Yes, you have two options: use the GZ37, or install a stand-by switch like post #17. The bleeder from post #22 won't prevent the voltage to rise early, and isn't nearly as effective as the stand-by from post #17.

The audyn caps are polypropylene types, which are self-healing to some degree. If you test them with an ohmmeter and they show no shorts, it should be OK. A momentary overvoltage usually doesn't hurt them. I once put 750 Volts across a 400V one, and it still lives.

As far as improvement goes: if you use the schematic from post #1, and include the stand-by switch from post #17, that would be the best mix of the configurations we have discussed so far. But beware, the possibilities are endless. Motor run caps are very hard to beat sonically, especially at their price level.

My advice would be: complete the amp, check that it works properly, grab yourself a beer and enjoy it...

Jurgen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.