• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Pentode to Triode trick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is that necessary?

Hi!

Not to get too much into the topic's schematic, I would say that there is no particular reason to enter into so much fuss.

First of all, because a pentode will not become a triode, whatever you do with it, except if you can open it, take out all the g2 and g3 material between g1 and the anode... and close it back again. Or better still, do it at the factory, while it is being constructed. Imagine having a time-machine and visiting a Telefunken factory during WW2 or somewhere at that time -- and ordering a batch of tubes to your convenience :)) Just try to imagine the engineer's faces when you ask them to make you this batch (ha, ha). They would probably take you for f..l :)

Whatever you do to the connections, it will still be a pentode wired as triode. Meaning whatever that means, including the loss of power, which you can certainly afford since you own Lowthers and other 96dB+ efficient speakers... :)

Further on, there are ways to use the pentodes in a better way, making them sound like if they were wired as triodes, while enjoying the higher power of pentode wiring... and very low distortions overall. I.E. my RH series... just think about it while you sit in your favorite imagination experimenters armchair.

Regards to all,
Aleksandar

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.