• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC88 at 12 volts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Could you suggest one? Until now what I find was all "worse"
than X10D. I mean they give very little "tube sound" and resolutions, dynamic etc."

The problem with good valve implementations is that they really don't sound like what you expect from a valve. All my valve stuff sounds very clean and neutral without any valve euphonics - which I believe is what a lot of people are looking for. I had a Leak Stereo 20 and that sounded lovely and valvey. My current 807 Parafeed amp sounds nothing like it. My current preamp is based on the valve buffer which most people are using in front of there gainclones. The main difference is it is held at constant current and constant voltage by a Mosfet and a valve CCS. Very neutral and not at all valve like in characture. This is what they used to use in the input stage of oscilloscopes - which should tell you a great deal. If you are interested I can drag out the schematic and post it.

Shoog

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Shoog,
The image didn't post. Can you try again?

I agree on the sound of tubes, or lack of it.
A few years back there was a nice article in a pro sound magazine that set out to determine what all the fuss was about with he rash of tube microphone preamps. Did they sound better/warmer/whatever then SS preamps?

The reviewer listened to many of the top mic preamps and concluded that they all sounded very good and very much alike - as long as they were use within their normal limits. It was when driven into clipping that the tube preamps had an advantage. The distortion was more "pleasant" than that of SS preamps.

Used within normal limits they all sounded very good, very clean and very much the same.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.