• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best 300B SE OPT?

I'm tempted by all kinds of things!! I don't know enough about the Monoliths to put down that kind of money, and that kind of wad would be competing with Tango and possibly even Tamura, which are well know in terms of quality. Maybe the Monoliths are just as good, but who knows?

I'd be equally tempted by Pieter at Tribute - his quality is well known. I don't know if his nickel OPTs come in that kind of price range.

I'd also be tempted by Bud at O-netics. I have four sets of his OPTs and they are really good sounding.

Just going with what I know here. The point of the thread is really to shed some light on what we don't know like Monolith and see if we can get some comparative information from people who've tried several types.

Paul - if you're going to pull the trigger on the Monoliths, we'd be interested to hear the results!!

Andy

Last edited:
I've never paid more than £150 for an OPT. Acquired most of them a while ago and got some deals on Lundahl gear. I'm pretty happy as I am - I have LL1620, LL1623, AN and O-netics. An OPT would have to be audibly a step up for me to consider changing.

I've no idea if "UKP 265 each, delivered is cheap in context". I'd have to hear that degree of difference from what I have. I've never used exotic OPTs so I really can't say, and I wouldn't guess without actually hearing the difference.

I admit that most builders are likely to take the plunge without any comparative listening, but OPTs like this are a big outlay. Hence the point of gathering opinions in threads like this. It's one thing to say "better" but better by how much?

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Andy

Oh, sorry- didn’t realise you already owned the onetics and Lundahl’s on your list, just that you’d tried them. I thought you were looking for an upgrade to the AN 152 type at a reasonable price. By cheap in context, I meant in comparison to the Japanese exotica- assuming it’s performance is comparable of course.

The double C core of the Monolith is the attraction for me. I suspect that this construction, using a good silicon steel laminate and good winding technique (the bandwidth, primary inductance and insertion loss of the S-9 are excellent) would compete favourably with any EI core. Where amorphous, nickel, and cobalt cores fit in I’m less sure. I’ve gained the feeling that their use is an expensive game of swings and roundabouts.

I expect 17 years of run in have done the AN’s a world of good, and would expect the new transformers to improve considerably with use. My interstages sounded very grey initially, then bloomed gradually. (Cyrogenic treatment of the coils is supposed to avoid the need for run in.)

I may have to try the S-9 myself! But, even then, I’ve never know how they compared with Tango and the rest- unless someone out there can help....

Paul

The Softone trannies and interstage are hits right out of the park, I just received a pair of their newly released 8k pp transformers this week !
I'm using all of their products in several amps and they are consistently excellent sounding, measure perfectly and their international service is second to none, I really shouldn't rave in public, because the price to performance ratio is (currently) almost unbelievable for this kind of quality, particularly coming out of Japan.... In fact they must have a lot of local competition (Noguchi certainly is very popular there) because their prices have hardly changed over many years.

Last edited:
That's very useful information. Softone look like a likely purchase at some point. Have you tried their interstage? It's not such good value as the OPT, but I'd like to know how it compares with Lundahl and the others.

http://softone.a.la9.jp/english/RC20/RC20.htm

Tell us more about Noguchi - it's a totally new name for me. For sure there's plenty of action in Asia with quality products of this type.

Andy

Thanks for the ETF shootout info. Clearly the AN Trans-300 is better than the Trans-152 which is pretty average really and didn't do too well in the Silk shootout. Lundahls don't seem to be at the top of the tree - there's a lot of windings in most of them. I was disappointed with the LL1620.

Andy

I found a pair of LL1620/90 in an old amp I made some 10y ago.
Before I reuse it for a GU50 PSE, can you tell me why were you disapointed with it? Thanks

Hi

Actually, hearing all my transformers now with a much better amp topology, I would revise my opinions.

Trans-152 (90mA) is about equivalent to the LL1620/80mA. The AN is a fraction more dynamic with slightly better soundstage and bass, while I think the Lundahl is a little better on vocals.

I imagine you'd put both in the "better" category, without being in the "best" category of Tango etc. I'm not disappointed - I'm getting very good sounds. Also I think the "amount of wire" was a bit simplistic - as far as I can tell the LL1620 sounds better than the LL1682 which is smaller with fixed secondaries, though I haven't tried out both with exactly the same topology yet.

So get that LL1620 up and running - should sound good!

Last edited:
Hi

Actually, hearing all my transformers now with a much better amp topology, I would revise my opinions.

Trans-152 (90mA) is about equivalent to the LL1620/80mA. The AN is a fraction more dynamic with slightly better soundstage and bass, while I think the Lundahl is a little better on vocals.

I imagine you'd put both in the "better" category, without being in the "best" category of Tango etc. I'm not disappointed - I'm getting very good sounds. Also I think the "amount of wire" was a bit simplistic - as far as I can tell the LL1620 sounds better than the LL1682 which is smaller with fixed secondaries, though I haven't tried out both with exactly the same topology yet.

So get that LL1620 up and running - should sound good!

I hope, yes, since I used this Lundahl, I just used big AN transformers, like the double C TR310 and other that really work well with big DHT's.
Now I'll be using this LL1620/90 for a small leaving room system (my wife keeps complainning I only have good sound where she does't go).
I can have about 480V for the PSE GU50, and as that is not enough to make it work in pentode mode, I thing I'll risc triode and see how it goes.

Good Russian Taste.

My 3,5K Sowter SA08s serve excellently well for my 300B-SE. Whatever changes I make to my system, can always be heard through these trafos, and I have no plans to change them. The overall sound of the amp is very natural, and the stereo image is huge.

My recommendation: choose the best trafo you can get to listen to. Sell other stuff and buy the best, rather than be put off by high price: trafos just get better with age, and last a lifetime - provided the quality was high in the first place. Low cost OT is a very false economy, that prevents you finding out what is possible with DIY.

:cheers:

Good Russian Taste.

My 3,5K Sowter SA08s serve excellently well for my 300B-SE. Whatever changes I make to my system, can always be heard through these trafos, and I have no plans to change them. The overall sound of the amp is very natural, and the stereo image is huge.

My recommendation: choose the best trafo you can get to listen to. Sell other stuff and buy the best, rather than be put off by high price: trafos just get better with age, and last a lifetime - provided the quality was high in the first place. Low cost OT is a very false economy, that prevents you finding out what is possible with DIY.

Good Russian Taste.

+1, from my humble experience. I really like Transcendars (both 10W and 20W) and yet as soon as I could afford them I bought the transformers pictured here (2A3 next to them for size comparison). Outputs are almost 11lbs a piece...

Attachments

• james-xformers 018.jpg
    james-xformers 018.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,577
  • james-xformers 019.jpg
    james-xformers 019.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,571
  • james-xformers 020.jpg
    james-xformers 020.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1,550
  • james-xformers 021.jpg
    james-xformers 021.jpg