• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

thoughts about a 'universal' preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About two years ago I built Frank’s pre-amp (12BH7A in a WCF configuration).
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12042&highlight=

After that he published a schematic with a little gain, using a SRPP 12BH7A into a 12BH7A WCF. I was tempted to build it…but than the Aikido already made his entry in the scene and I didn’t exactly know what to build anymore. I remember Frank posting a comment that the Aikido was new for him, but short after that he posted the schematic of the SRPP 12BH7A + WCF 12BH7A again, to show it had lots of things in common (at least in the wiring). So I thought about the possibility to build something more universal, which implies in the possibility to easily change cathode/plate resistors for different tubes/current settings. I didn’t want to solder and desolder it every time and I finally found a solution for this, inspired through http://www.artemislabs.com/docs/PL1_Manual_1.pdf amplifier - the ZIF socket. With this one it’s possible to easily change resistors, and it probably will work very well. For other connections it is possible to use jumpers (well, I will build a prototype on veroboard, so it is easy to use jumpers).

Today I spent some time in designing the more universal preamplifier. Well, it is not actually designing, I just put some freely available schematics together. With different settings of the jumpers it should be possible to 'create' a SRPP amp, a WCF, a SRPP + WCF, an Aikido and a Gomes amplifier.

Issues like the power supply and exact values for the cathode resistors (and the plate resistor in the SRPP) I haven't put here. Power supply van vary a lot. A 6BL7 in SRPP will be happy with 390VDC, almost the double of what the ECC88 can take...so power supply depends on used tube (B+ aren't tied together, but should be). The Aikido design allows one to change tubes without changing cathode resistors, but I like the idea to easily change the settings of the used tubes - that's why I will use the ZIF socket (in the schematic a 'ZIF connection' is shown as two parallel lines, a bit like a capacitor). Jumper pins are shown with the dots, the actual jumpers with red lines.

I post it here and I am sure comments will arise, given the popularity of the Aikido and the 12BH7A WCF, about two years ago.

First schematic is that of the SRPP 12BH7A + WCF 12BH7A

Erik

PS: and if it all seems to strange - I got the 'valve amplifiers' book as a gift for my graduation and I can take some theory from there.

Attachments

• 12bh7a_srpp_wcf.gif
    12bh7a_srpp_wcf.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 674
Bas Horneman said:
Wow..great Erik...I would call it universal gain stage though..because you could just as easily use it to drive an output tube...etc..etc.

Sure. I am full of ideas of building different DAC's and riaa amplifiers, I/V and amplifying stages, solid state and tube based etc. But than there is a myriad of designs that can be used for each aplication, and each I want to try. But building each individually would take to much time and, as I like to work from scratch, I would use one kind of capacitor in one and another in the second, so comparisions wouldn't be fair.

Attached is a version with three more ZIF 'slots', allowing the assembling of the 'simple line stage' from John Broskie. Only the first tube is used (it should be a 12BH7A). And so you can go on...

Erik

Attachments

• simple line stage.jpg
    simple line stage.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 319
well....

...seems Erik left this project..

I have to build some pcbs for a line stage preamp, so I was thinking about a design like Erik's, that can be used then also like a driver for a tube amplifier, etc, etc.

I have started the design of the pcb as per Erik hints, I would like to include in the possible configurations also the dcmb. If the pcb won't get too complicated, I would like to put on it the octal and noval socket.

I need from you guys a kind check on the schematics that Erik proposed, I'll make available the gerber file when completed.

Ciao!

Paolo

Wow, was this already already 5 years ago!

Just jumping in to tell that these ideas never made it to a working PCB, as I started using 'euro barrier strips' to prototype and test circuits. Euro barrier strips didn't work that well either, what led me to new experiments. I'll be posting some pictures when I have a good working assembly put together, which may take a while :)

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.