• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

rca conversion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was told that i would be better off reposting this in here...

ill try to be brief and descriptive . Ok, i have an old RCA tube amp pulled from a hifi, (vintage 50's or so) it uses 6cg7's (new EH's) in the preamp and 6v6's (old, came with the amp when i got it) in the poweramp, with a 5y3 rectifier (which i replaced witha ss plug in thing, cause it didnt have one when i got it). I was planning on converting it into a guitar amp, but im having trouble getting sound out of it... i hooked a guitar through the phono input, i get a signal, but its very weak. I used a distortion pedal as a boost, and the sound was louder, but not much. Would I have to re-do the input section of the amp to make it suitable for guitar?

1st, get that SS plug in thingy out of there, pronto. There is a real danger of overvoltage on the signal tubes and caps. If you want to buck the B+ up a bit, use a 5V4. Otherwise, use a Russian 5Y3, which is quite reasonable in cost.

"Amperex" is correct about the phono I/P. It's intended for use with a piezoelectric cartridge with an O/P measured in Volts. You will need to build a preamp to boost the weak signal from the guitar pickup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.