Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Need tube buffer circuit for sub-woofer out
Need tube buffer circuit for sub-woofer out
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Gilbert is offline Gilbert  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need tube buffer circuit for sub-woofer out

Can anyone recommend a single stage circuit for *buffering* a signal for a sub-woofer output?

Currently building a S.E. 2A3 amp using one gain stage using the 6SL7.

I'm devoting the second half of the 6SL7 as a buffer stage for a sub-woofer output.

Need inversion so I can't use a cathode follower which is non-inverting.

Don't really need any gain. I don't think so anyway.

Thinking about a 'conertina' or split load stage to where I just take the signal off the plate with no gain.

If I set it up as a more typical gain stage, then I guess I'll need a resistive divider of sorts to bring the signal back down to 'line level'.

Probably will need a RC filter of sorts to capacitively couple it to the sub-woofer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gilbert
Old 22nd July 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

The concertina idea seems to have some promise, but high Rp/low gm types, like the 6SL7, are not so good for concertina service. If you're building a stereoblock, you could use a single 6SL7 for voltage gain in both channels and a single 6SN7 for the concertina in both channels.

Instead of a concertina, you could wire a 6SL7 section as a so called plate follower. A "plate follower" is a single stage tubed opamp that uses plate to grid NFB to produce an inverting block with little or no gain. The NFB lowers the O/P impedance, which is good for driving the SW.
Old 23rd July 2005, 06:57 AM   #3
Brett is offline Brett
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need tube buffer circuit for sub-woofer out

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert
Can anyone recommend a single stage circuit for *buffering* a signal for a sub-woofer output?

Any suggestions?
Use an opamp (with a decent one, it won't make a scat of sonic difference) and parallel the 6SL7 stages to drive the 2A3.
Personally I'd ditch the 6SL7 to drive the 2A3, but that's a 'nother whole discussion........
Old 23rd July 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Sch3mat1c is offline Sch3mat1c  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Single 6SL7 has been used for 2A3 just fine with no loss of highs.

Use shunt feedback to reduce gain. Cathodyne will have non-existant output admittance it'll suck so much.

(Admittance is opposite of impedance, I just thought I'd drag that word out because it's so annoying to have to invert other parts of the sentence when referring to inverse terms!)

Tim

Need tube buffer circuit for sub-woofer outHide this!Advertise here!