• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mundorf M-Lytic and Silver-in-Oil Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using the supreme caps from mundorf since years as coupling capacitors. They are much better than any Jensen, Auricap, Hovlands, Solen.What they do is absolutely stunning. Enourmous transparency without down-side. I started to play with the silver-oil, but there it is not clear to me if I like them really better than the supremes. Mo Exteperience with the m'lytic, except that the bipolar 'lytics for cross-overs are so good that they can compete with normal MKP.

I have used the Mundorf's both in amps and in speakers and absolutely can recommend them (I like them more than Jensen, MIT, Hovland, soen etc.....).
The silver in oil are more extended,smooth and detailed than the Supreme which on the other hand has better attack than the silver in oil (I have done this direct comparation only with caps inside speakers).

Taffi, let me descripbe, what I think I have observed on the supreme vs. silver-in oil comparison: The silver in oil are very smooth, but the supreme have more dynamic, attack, live-character. Musician are simly "there", crystal-clear soundstage while the silver in oils introduce a smooth sound, but as well are second in the above mentioned characteristics. I found it interesting to read on a web-page the the supreme are in tan delta 10 times better than the silver in oil. Therefore I am not sold into the more expensive silver in oils.

Some people have claimed that the supreme introduce a resonance in the mids. I have not found this to be true (or I like this resonance).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Some people have claimed that the supreme introduce a resonance in the mids. I have not found this to be true (or I like this resonance).

It is not true at all....
People read somewhere that a certain brand of filmcap, which I won't call by name, exhibits a resonance in the mids.
Within six months urban myth # 997 comes to life and now all filmcaps stink....

Almost all PIO caps I ever heard are very charming to listen to, some are excellent but mostly by ommission of some harshness present at the source.
Therefore they're not what I'd call "transparent".

Cheers, ;)

Blitz said:
Taffi, let me descripbe, what I think I have observed on the supreme vs. silver-in oil comparison: The silver in oil are very smooth, but the supreme have more dynamic, attack, live-character. Musician are simly "there", crystal-clear soundstage while the silver in oils introduce a smooth sound, but as well are second in the above mentioned characteristics. I found it interesting to read on a web-page the the supreme are in tan delta 10 times better than the silver in oil. Therefore I am not sold into the more expensive silver in oils.
It looks like we agree on this all the way.
There is only one detail that I also want to comment and that is that I feel that the silver in oil gives a more airy and extended top end (which also are smooth) .
So IMHO in some systems the silver in oil would sound best and in other system the Supreme would be the best choice.

M-Lytic Capacitor

I noticed that the M-Lytic capacitors from Mundorf are available from a web site in Hong Kong. However, they are not available with other international dealers yet.

As you may aware the BlackGate Capacitors become obsolute, I am just search the replacement of Blackgate caps with the same grade. It looks to me that the M-Lytic capacitors has the potential.

Johnny

Supreme Silver in Oil Capacitor

After knowing the Mundorf capacitor for some time, I finally decieded to purchase few for trial last week. I received them last night. I had it replace the Jensen 0.1uF paper in oil coupling capacitor in my Monarchy M22B DAC.

When the music is on, I was amazed how open and brilliant it sounds. It has much more detailed sounds compared to Jensen.

May be this is my first impression but I am rather surpurised how the coupling capacitor could make such big difference.

Johnny

What if it is compared to WonderCaps (NOS, white-like body) or K40 (metallic body)/K75(green body) Russian PIO? Currently I use K42 and K75 Russian, I love it so far, but consider another - if there - better but still affordable. Mundorf (especially Silver in Oil, SGO) is much expensive here, Wonder Caps and Russian PIO is less expensive.

Thanks,

Ervin L

The Supreme silver in oils are incredible. I am using the 4.7uF on my Scanspeak D2904 7100 tweeters. These tweeters are extremely revealing and can sound bright, but those caps really made it silky with all the detail. I have had no fatigue with cymbols and hi-hats.

Does anyone have experience with the M-Lytic high current caps for use in a power supply ? (class AB amplifier)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.