• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are matched sets important for this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm replacing the 6L6 tubes in my Dared VP-20 monoblocks (Push-pull). I'm very new to the world of tubes so I'm not sure if it is important to use a matched quad or if I could use two matched pairs. NOS matched quads can get a bit pricey so if I would only be throwing money away please advise me.

Thanks
Christof

My experience

My first experience was with a little push pull EL84 Amp. I found using a matched pair of EL84s DEFINITELY improved the bottom end. When there are 4 o/p tubes (2 each side) I believe that matching would be even more important.

Since that first experience I have always purchased matched pairs or quads as appropriate regardless of if I'm working on a HiFi or a Guitar Amp as a matter of routine. My advice is for you to do the same.

As SY says "It can't hurt" and will almost certainly help. Most suppliers will match a quad for you at very small additional cost. If they won't then find a new supplier.

Cheers,
Ian

NOS matched quads - 6L6

Christof

If NOS matched quads are too expensive then there are very good modern production 6L6GC which will work fine. Still not cheap but should be less than NOS tubes. I use and recommend the "Winged C" Svetlana. Make sure they are the "winged C" Svetlana NOT the US Svetlana.

I am told BUT have no personal experience to back it up, that the JJ Tesla 6L6GC is also good.

I had a bad experience with Sovteks BUT that was with a Fender Twin Reverb Guitar Amp running 500V rails. They may be OK at lower voltage (I had screen to cathode flashover problems). This amp is Ultralinear Output, that is the same 500V appears on the screen and this is what the Sovteks did'nt like. The "Winged C" Svetlana was stunning in this amp (sound quality and noise performance) and the matched quad I put in has been running reliably for about 8 months of heavy gigging use at high power so far.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.