• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I'd like to make a simple 50 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dying thread

Hi to all...

Well, this thread is dying, or in a coma (deep one). I presume that is due in part to the prolificity of writing -- people who have something to learn in this process are scared of participating, since there is a lot of BIG definitions and stuff to be read.

I believe that if we are willing to share, we should share in usable terms, i.e. with simple info leading to simple solutions... those simple solutions do not scare people from trying, understanding, and believing in themselves.

Unfortunately, there are too many vain people around...

Or, maybe the thread is dying because there are very little people around owning a pair of 50's to make an amp?

Regards to all,
Aleksandar

Aleksander,
I fully agree with you.
To respect the beginners we should be more concise in the future and avoid going too deep into the details.
After all, precision will come later: opportunities don't lack.
Or maybe should we split the thread into : beginner's and advanced.
Anyway, such as it works now, you are right, a lot of people get discouraged.
Cheers.

hi guys, thanks for contributing in this thread.

i just picked up my 50 last weekend. my friend told me to pick two pieces in a box full of 50s in bubble wraps. :)

i picked two and i think my luck continues as they are Cunningham CX-350 and tested strong :)

here they are. ;)

while it was my objective to build a simple 50 amp, i would like to venture to a different circuit later.

another friend suggested that i "graft" the Bob Danielak DC Darling into the 50 with cap coupling and grid choke. since i have the parts for the entire DC Darling, i can also do this.

what do you think of this idea?

cheers!

Attachments

• cx350.jpg
    cx350.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 435
SAME OLD STORY

Well, I see this has turned to be the same old story. If we wait a little longer, the simple amp will turn into a Sakuma-san amp or anything (not that it would not be simple, after all...).

A friend of mine uses to ask around about what should he choose... never says the budget... you think he is sincerely after some advice... finally, he makes his choice: buys some Hi-End equipment worth 50000+EUR, while you expected him to end with something "normal", let's say at 2000 per component... :( I actually have nothing against other people squandering their money, but I wonder why did he ask me (or other people) in the first place?

About "cloning" the Darling amp with 50's? Well, you can always try inserting a Mercedes motor into a Fiat Topolino... but it will never be a Mercedes. It is true both ways! :(

One last advice -- if you are a novice in tube amp construction, try to avoid DC solutions. I do still avoid DC solutions when it comes to other people's amps, because it has very few inbuilt limitations (unless you place a lot of finely calibrated fuses).

Never mind... a Darling with 50's? Well, that will be a good one!

Regards to all,
Aleksandar

hi alex,

i did not say i will clone the darling amp, what i said was a friend recommended using the darling amp as a driver to the 50 (graft it to the 50). there are two versions of the darling, RC and DC. so i asked for your thoughts. and thank you for your reply.

i have made a DC amp a couple of times, including the DC 45 designed by T. :) all of which are still alive :)

the simple 50 is already on the works, by the way. it will come alive soon.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.