• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Layout Check

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have attempted a layout for the SE KT88 monoblocs I'm planning. I used TubePad and some things, such at the TXs and choke are not to scale but the idea was to organize the general layout and keep the AC away from the signal.

Comments requested.

Attachments

• se_kt88_layout_sm.jpg
    se_kt88_layout_sm.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 314
Re: Re: Layout Check

mark_titano said:

Sorry for the OT...which software did you use to draw the layout?
:)

Thankyou
Mark

I used TubePad. It is free but isn't exactly a program. It consists of a bunch of pre-drawn components for both "virtual breadboarding" (as my layout above) and schematics.

Basically you just use MS Paint and the "Edit, Paste From" command to insert the components into your drawing. You then use Paint to draw the lines for wires etc. and for labeling.

Not extremely high-tech but it does help visualize the layout. Just google for "tubepad" and you should find the link.

Re: Re: Re: Layout Check

Sherman said:

I used TubePad. It is free but isn't exactly a program. It consists of a bunch of pre-drawn components for both "virtual breadboarding" (as my layout above) and schematics.

Basically you just use MS Paint and the "Edit, Paste From" command to insert the components into your drawing. You then use Paint to draw the lines for wires etc. and for labeling.

Not extremely high-tech but it does help visualize the layout. Just google for "tubepad" and you should find the link.

Thankyou Sherman...not user-friendly, really...but interesting anyway

Cheers

Mark

THANKS!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. This gives me a good idea of how to proceed. I'm thinking of using 1/8" aluminum plate to mount the components and Corian for the base. It does appear these will be large- maybe 14"x10" each.

alejo said:
I think you must to rotate 90 degrees the OPT (1628 SE) transformes to others transformers. to prevent Humm....

I'm actually trying to decide if it would be better to turn the OPT or the PT but you are right- one of them needs to be oriented differently!

pedroskova said:
I'd back down on the input cap, IIRC, max specified first cap for a 5U4G is 40uF.

Good catch! I had written 50uF on my planning sheet and I've been going with that value. I checked a couple data sheets and you are right. I'll definitely back it off to 40uF.

jane said:
Seems to me that the grid on GN1P is not connected to earth?

I wrote 6N1P on the layout but actually used the pinout of a 6922 I believe. I'll double check that. I'm waffling between a 6N1P which is in the original schematic, a 6922 which I have in my bin, and a 6DJ8 type.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.