• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6x5 rectifier substitutes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This can be done, however, I believe the 6X4 has a lower current rating. The device that had the 6X5 in it may draw too much for the 6X4 and it won't last very long. Most of the time you can get away with this fine for a temporary substitute but don't expect reliable service, even though you may end up getting it.

well i bought an amp recently which uses a 6x5 for a rectifier. then i was browsing the net and read somewhere that a 6x4 can be substituted in. so i was wondering if the 6x4 could be a better substitute(apparently not) because i hear the 6x5 is pretty weak itself.

yeah, there are quite a few beefier 5v rectifiers, but since his amp is using a 6X5 stock, it shouldnt be a problem.

if he decided to change it, chances are slim he has a 5v winding, so he will need a 6.3v rectifier..

6CA4 sound good?

hrmm, theres probably something betterout there.

but anyways, if its stock with a 6X5, it should be able to handle the current draw...

dimitry, what is the tube lineup of this amp? something mono & SE ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.