• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

second harmonic distortion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope my question is not to rudimentary for Iam just starting to learn tube design(after reading throgh many posts I am discouraged by my lack of knowledge)

QUESTION I understand from reading Crowhurst that when the plate swing is not symetrical due to equal changes in grid voltage
there will be second harmonic distortion . The distortion is calculated by determinig how far the mid poing of the swing deviates from the operating point. I can not see how this waveform produces second order distortion, isnt second order a component with 2 times or .5 times the fundemental freq.
Jeff
try not to flame me to bad

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If you draw a sine wave on graph paper, and in the same graph draw a sine with twice the ferquency but say a quarter of the amplitude, you can then add these two curves graphically to get to the combined wave. That one will show massive 2nd harmonics, but it will be very clear how the mechanism works.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
If you draw a sine wave on graph paper, and in the same graph draw a sine with twice the ferquency but say a quarter of the amplitude, you can then add these two curves graphically to get to the combined wave. That one will show massive 2nd harmonics, but it will be very clear how the mechanism works.

Jan Didden

Hi

Yes, very true

Steve Bench put that on his site

http://members.aol.com/sbench102/thd.html

cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.