• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

On Line Tube Learning for newbies....

I just found this thread!

I realize I am about a hundred years too late for this thread but I am starting at the absolute beginning. I have a few tube guitar amps but no audio amps and I keep hearing about how my friends love their tube gear. I just can't get the subject out of my mind.
Thank you for all the posts, I will surely get the books and pages listed.

If anyone knows of a simple mono tube amp kit I could build to get me started and learn the basics please let me know.
"Nicholas at mindspring.com"

Hey folks, thanks for sharing all of these links. I find myself at the beginning of my journey and these materials will help me set my first steps. I've taken the liberty of compiling all the links mentioned in this thread into a Google Docs Spreadsheet, which I'm sharing here. You will also have the possibility to comment on any cell, though not edit it directly. My next step will be to check which of these links are still valid and fill out missing fields. I hope this will help someone!

Many many thanks to you, sir. This thread is wonderful in itself, obviously. But a current, well-maintained spreadsheet makes related resource sharing + discussion beautifully easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all! Help! I want to read an old article:
«N.W.McLachlan, The Theory of Push-Pull, Wireless World, June 13, 1928, pp.629-634», that was mentioned in «Scott Frankland, Single-Ended vs Push-Pull, Stereophile 12/96».
But I cannot find anywhere in www no WW with McLachlan and no SP with Frankland. Please, help!

If I can get permission to copy and get someone to host, I have the perfect books. Basic Electronics by Vankenburgh, Nooger & Neville.
Vol 1 and 2, first ed 1955. They are by far the best books for audio beginners I have ever seen. Vol 1 is power supply based and Vol 2 is a triodes/audio wonderland for newbies. (other volumes 3-6 are not audio related) Simple, not too deep, very well illustrated in a campy mid-50's flare and is very entertaining and gets the essentials right.
If you can find Vol 1 or 2 in a library or used book store, get it!
I know this was posted a long time ago, but I searched and found a seller who had the full set in great condition for $25. Such a deal and now in the eve of life I'm recapping stuff I sort of knew when I was in my twenties. AND, I just picked up a tube amp out of an organ that I hope to modify for use with my turntable. Yep, I know to keep my fingers and screw drivers out of the way.

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I searched and found a seller who had the full set in great condition for $25. Such a deal and now in the eve of life I'm recapping stuff I sort of knew when I was in my twenties. AND, I just picked up a tube amp out of an organ that I hope to modify for use with my turntable. Yep, I know to keep my fingers and screw drivers out of the way.

You can download them HERE. I do have the original hardbound set but I usually read the PDF these days. ;)