• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

On Line Tube Learning for newbies....

Dielectric withstand and insulation testing tube amps?
I have exhausted my google powers over many days looking for a general guide to safety testing tube amps. Can anyone point me towards some information about how commercial tube gear was/is safety tested. For sure regulations vary by country, I'm in Japan but any robust safety testing method would be better than nothing...

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
Dielectric withstand and insulation testing tube amps?
I have exhausted my google powers over many days looking for a general guide to safety testing tube amps. Can anyone point me towards some information about how commercial tube gear was/is safety tested. For sure regulations vary by country, I'm in Japan but any robust safety testing method would be better than nothing...

Have you look at a sample test report ? In actual testing you need to send to test lab some amp samples, list of and actual critical components, drawings, markings etc..

Hey folks, thanks for sharing all of these links. I find myself at the beginning of my journey and these materials will help me set my first steps. I've taken the liberty of compiling all the links mentioned in this thread into a Google Docs Spreadsheet, which I'm sharing here. You will also have the possibility to comment on any cell, though not edit it directly. My next step will be to check which of these links are still valid and fill out missing fields. I hope this will help someone!