Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

On Line Tube Learning for newbies....
On Line Tube Learning for newbies....
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2019, 02:44 PM   #261
mfratus is offline mfratus  United States
diyAudio Member

I started writing this a few years ago, and have it on a web site: Amp-School.net - Understanding Electronics and Tube Amps
My own attempt to simplify learning tubes from the first basic principles.
Old 3rd August 2019, 01:48 PM   #262
AlbertWiggins is offline AlbertWiggins  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Newbie Newbie

Hi, my name is David and I have joined here today. I have found this thread very useful as I didn't even do physics at school, which is 40 years ago this year. Anyway, I don't really know the first thing about electronics but got into this DIY hi-fi larc because originally I wanted to be able to reduce the bass on my pc based system so as not to annoy the neighbors so much, I have a flat in a large old house which was originally built in 1690, hence, no soundproofing. I started off by buying a ready-made Little Bear P1 I think it was, it uses a single 6dj8 or a 12au7 and a digital power amp, it sounded ok to me.

Then I bought a cheap 6J1 board and a digital power amp board with high, mid and low tone control and fitted them into some beech wood tea caddies and did some inlaying on the front with Bethlehem Olivewood where the control knobs are. I will upload some photos sometime. So, a friend asks me to build him a phono preamp and I'm now in deep over my head :-).

I first purchased a CAT SL-1 clone and the recommended transformer from the Douk store for myself. It came with no instructions and being a lectrodummy I'm stumped as to what to do with it next. I'm just waiting for some tubes to arrive from Holland, 2x JJ ECC802s gold pin, 2x ECC803s gold pins and another ECC83s. I have a Mullard E88CC for the final stage. I need to know whether I need a power supply board for this or do I connect the transformer directly to the board? Any advice or guidance on this project would be most welcome and I thank you in advance :-)

There are 2 inlets for power on the mainboard, 1 0-250v AC /80ma and 1 6.3V 3A and a ground. I will try and upload some photos of the said board. The other project is a Shure M65 clone for my friend. I have found out that I just connect the transformer straight to the board, I'll see when it arrives, it was from another seller as douk failed to include all the resistors required for the sub-board, the standoffs and a couple of plugs. They weren't very helpful with my queries about the sub-board, I guess it's the language barrier. So, here I am, please be gentle :-)

On Line Tube Learning for newbies....Hide this!Advertise here!