• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Light bulb in series with load for testing

Hi,

Most of us will know that using a light bulb in series with a load (for example: amplifier under test or repair) may prevent serious damage of the load in case something is wrong.

I just made a new one, using a GU10 light bulb ceramic contact with a simple distribution box with an on/off switch.

For use a light bulb MUST be inserted, because the light bulb is connected in SERIES with the mains outlets of the distribution box.

Regards, Gerrit

NB: If your load has a mains relay, the relay may rattle and damage may be done to your electronics.

Attachments

• E67117E3-3383-4BAC-90A9-43CFACC5E748.jpeg
    E67117E3-3383-4BAC-90A9-43CFACC5E748.jpeg
    346.5 KB · Views: 362
  • A60938F1-AFE4-4AAE-833E-747AAF5DB6E0.jpg
    A60938F1-AFE4-4AAE-833E-747AAF5DB6E0.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
For the curious & others. In general the resistance of tungsten bulbs is about 8-10 times hot as when they are cold. Tube heaters about the same range. I ran many tests on various devices about 20 yrs ago & another group about 5 yrs ago.
The PX bulb is sometimes used in cross over networks. In a pinch the 1157 automotive bulb could be used. But not as a limiter on the supply. Just here for general interest.:)
The thermal time constant is another factor to consider, All these tests are steady state.

Attachments

• PX Bulb Characteristic.jpg
    PX Bulb Characteristic.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 270
  • 50W 120V Philips Halogen.jpg
    50W 120V Philips Halogen.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 261
  • PX Bulbs Used As Limiters.jpg
    PX Bulbs Used As Limiters.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 258
  • 40W Incandescent Bulb vs 250R Resistor Linear Current_Voltage Plot.jpg
    40W Incandescent Bulb vs 250R Resistor Linear Current_Voltage Plot.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 88
Was it the #1157 that was used in the Marantz 14 and such? Some kind of automotive lamp about that size was used in place of emitter resistors, with the plan that they'd also be fuses if SHTF. At the time, folks were saying that life of their tungsten filaments varied inversely with the 12th power of voltage, as I remember it. This can't be even remotely true, so my memory must be better than reality. Imagine that.

Always good fortune,
Chris

Most of us will know that using a light bulb in series with a load ...

I just made a new one, using a GU10 light bulb ceramic contact with a simple distribution box with an on/off switch.

That is a compact and neat solution! Did it have those fiddly 'tamperproof' screws holding it together, in which case how did you solve that?

I have also been using one of those cheap energy consumption units, which show the consumption of watts in real time. Shows that the power consumption is in the right ballpark, and something is not being overworked.

Well, you Europeans have always had some strange ideas about numbers. Descartes, Leibniz, all a bunch of ******* really. Just because your maths fit reality doesn't make you prescient, or does it?

The Carl Sagan inspired movie _Contact_ omitted the most important part of his book, at the end, where the secret was found to be encoded in a raster of base 11 (or was it 13?). A raster circle was found to be encoded in the raster representation of pi if you went down far enough in base 11 (or was it 13?). If pi is designed, then what? Totally lost in the movie.

A joke about the decimal system: I can't count to 21 without taking my pants off.

Always good fortune,
Chris

When I was growing up, all culture and all knowledge was considered to be European. That was the American perspective in the 1950's, and it's still true, to some deep-seated extent, for folks of my generation. "Real" scientists and "real doctors" came from Europe. End of discussion.

Modern perspectives include the true historical background, with Arabic star-gazers and Persian and Indian subcontinent deep mathematicians and Goddess only knows who else back and back and back. We're all the children of brilliant people from (probably East) Africa not that many generations ago, and we're all closer than 50th cousins. Except for a few very isolated peoples, we're less than 32nd cousins.

But culture is something too. Maybe we should strive for another culture that would allow another Beethoven and another Brahms. Is there such a thing now, but I just can't hear it?

All the best fortune,
Chris

Our culture IS European, "America" is just a full transplanted European colony.
Political turmoil and revolutions don´t change that a bit.

As far as Science and technology goes, Japan,China, India "millenary cultures" use "ours", go figure.

Yes, I do recognize, specially being a History and Culture lover, that there is a continuous line in our Civilization, basically Sumer > Persia/Assyria/Babylon/Egypt/India > Greece > Rome > Europe in general (which I consider broken pieces of Rome)/Arabs > America/Asia/Africa/Oceania
Knowledge and Civilization spread and it´s very hard to put the Genius back in the bottle :)

PS: */*/* indicate branches.

My Y chromosome, 9 generations back, is Dutch. He was in New Amsterdam in 1634. Does this give me a European culture? I'd say no, but American culture when I was a child, and still today, is a strongly European culture. Here we struggle with balancing the good parts of European culture with the bad parts of slavery in the Americas, and conveniently confuse the two. We reframe the discussion in every other possible way, but that's always the underlying issue. Slavery is not a European issue, but an American one. Here it's so deeply shameful that it cannot even be thought about.

I know myself to be the descendant of both slaves and slave-holders, but if we were to look far enough back, this would be true for all of us. We're all descended from a population bottleneck about 200,000 years ago, when we all had a common ancestral grandmother and a common ancestral grandfather. A lot of good and a lot of bad things happen in 10,000 generations, and we are the surviving results. All our cousin species are dead, and only traces of our Neanderthal and Denisovan cousins remain, within us.

But "recently", meaning in a human lifetime, yeah, Europe got bombed flat in the war, as did East Asia, as did Russia. Only America survived the war semi-intact. Europe had to start fresh, without a lot of pre-war baggage, and is today way more than an American colony - it's the most viable "near-long-term" model for the future of civilization. Keep your "Eyes on the Prize".

All good fortune,
Chris

I am curious why American version of date is day then year and month as an afterthought.

Totally illogical and confusing. A bit like German number system Hundreds units then tens. ? Even though it is written in a correct sequence.

Not sure that Europe was bombed flat as it indicates little understanding of what was reality. Yes I have lots of American friends and connections and most of its culture is so short term based that it really has very very little in historical items or knowledge. I have been there over 40 times.