• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Valve rectifier with high frequency AC

Hello,
I was wondering how a valve rectifier would react to a high frequency AC voltage (atleast 50khz, possibly square wave.) My first instinct is BAD.

I know that with diodes, the reverse recovery time has a huge impact at the efficiency of rectifying high frequency ac in SMPS's, and I am wondering if a vacuum tube rectifier would experience the same problem, albeit from different causes.

Any thoughts? :D

Not 50 kHz, but booster diodes like the PY81 and E.H.T. rectifiers like the EY51 work with 15,625 Hz saw-tooth signals (horizontal deflection and E.H.T. in TV's).

Diodes like the EA50 were used in the measuring-heads of multimeters which could measure AC voltages up to 100 Mhz (for instance in the Philips GM6008).

I would think that at 50 kHz the distances between cathode and anode in these tubes are not a problem yet (transition time wise), but I'm not sure about this.

Last edited:
Never thought about this but perhaps the speed of electrons in vacuum at the given accelerating voltage would be the limiting factor. Assuming 10km/s and a distance of 1cm it seems MHz frequencies are difficult but 50kHz quite doable.

Would this be doable for a standard HT rectifier tube like a 5AR4, or only for high speed signal diode tubes used for radio?

Not 50 kHz, but booster diodes like the PL81 and E.H.T. rectifiers like the EY51 work with 15,625 Hz saw-tooth signals (horizontal deflection and E.H.T. in TV's).

Diodes like the EA50 were used in the measuring-heads of multimeters which could measure AC voltages up to 100 Mhz (for instance in the Philips GM6008).

I would think that at 50 kHz the distances between cathode and anode in these tubes are not a problem yet (transition time wise), but I'm not sure about this.

Are there any tubes of this nature capable of rectifying for HT current demands?

I don't think so because for the function as booster/damper one diode/rectifier is enough.

But maybe 'normal' double rectifiers would do the job also. As far as I know, the special part of booster/damper diodes is their solid cathode to heater insulation, needed because of the very high voltage peaks on the cathode (the PY81 and PY500 have their cathode come out at the top connection because of that).

Addition: The capacitance at the output of a tube rectifier that runs on high frequencies should be relatively small, much smaller than the values at the usual 100 or 120 Hz.

Last edited:
But maybe 'normal' double rectifiers would do the job also. As far as I know, the special part of booster/damper diodes is their solid cathode to heater insulation, needed because of the very high voltage peaks on the cathode (the PY81 and PY500 have their cathode come out at the top connection because of that).

Ah I see. Perhaps using an indirectly heated cathode rectifier like the EZ81 would provide higher heater-cathode insulation than a directly heated one?

I'm going to give it a shot once I'm back at my bench, I just wanted to see if anything would melt before hand. I guess sometimes a tube must be sacrificed for the greater good...

They do it very well. I sometime ago made a smps entirely with tubes and performed OK. It was a SEPIC plus Cuk converter whose output stage was a 33GY7A and a 35W4 entering with 270VDC and outing with +/- 350V @ 20mA. It has been published in other diy tube forum. It was only in the experimental field.

diytube.com • View topic - My "Tube SEPIC II" project

Last edited:
They do it very well. I sometime ago made a smps entirely with tubes and performed OK. It was a SEPIC plus Cuk converter whose output stage was a 33GY7A and a 35W4 entering with 270VDC and outing with +/- 350V @ 20mA. It has been published in other diy tube forum. It was only in the experimental field.

Wow that is very cool. What frequency were you using?

Ordinary tubes happily operate at several MHz, sometimes tens of MHz.
Tube diodes have little parasitic effects, like stored charged. Their main drawback is their dismal efficiency.
I have a number of tube rectifiers; for the fun of it, I can test them and characterize them just as I would for for a fast-recovery rectifier

Not 50 kHz, but booster diodes like the PY81 and E.H.T. rectifiers like the EY51 work with 15,625 Hz saw-tooth signals (horizontal deflection and E.H.T. in TV's).
------------------------------
That is the rep rate of the sweep. The return is at a much higher frequency so that the video spot is at the LHS of the picture tube in time for the next sweep. The damper diode sees all that. The high voltage developed is rectified by still another diode for the KVs of HT.