Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Novice Filament Advise Needed.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2021, 10:10 PM   #1
WntrMute2 is offline WntrMute2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Novice Filament Advise Needed.

I'd like to modify my 300B Radiotorn amps to use DC rather than the AC I've been using. I have both 2.5V and 5V versions of the 300B and would like to use both with minor adjustments or switching from outside the amp. I've done this with AC as I just switch between the 5V transformer and its center tap. Works well in this configuration but I would like to get the hum lower.
I have both Rod Coleman regulators as well as Pete Millett's available. I've tried Millett's with a 6.3V 8A transformer and while I can adjust the voltage down from 5V to 2.5V the temperature of the regulator goes up to 90 C when going to the lower voltage. I think that may be pushing things. I have tried the center tap of a 6.3V 8A transformer but I cannot get the voltage needed - 1.9V is the maximum. I have some bigger heatsinks but oddly they have a larger C/W rating - 4.8 vs 3.8. I am hesitant to try those as a remedy.
I need some expertise as what avenue to explore. Should I just use two different transformers and switch between the two? That method adds some pretty hefty iron and expense.

Last edited by WntrMute2; 25th November 2021 at 11:54 AM.
Old 25th November 2021, 03:03 AM   #2
Tom Bavis is offline Tom Bavis
diyAudio Member

Dissipation in a series regulator can be decreased by using a series or shunt resistor. A series resistor can be added for 2.5V output, dropping some voltage before the regulator. Depending on the value, there may be regulator drop-out at turn-on, which would give a softer start.

A shunt resistor bypasses some current - it should be possible to choose one which works across the adjustment range. The disadvantage of a shunt is that voltage will rise below a minimum current, but a tube heater is not a variable load. So you obviously can't measure the voltage unloaded.
Old 25th November 2021, 09:48 AM   #3
euro21 is online now euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

R.C. regulator requires at least 4-5V headroom between raw DC and regulated DC voltage.So You must use 9V AC -more than 25VA- transformer to achieve 9..10V raw DC.

The dissipation of R.C.= headroom voltage*I heater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300B raw supply for R.C.jpg (85.0 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by euro21; 25th November 2021 at 09:53 AM.
  Reply to this post

Novice Filament Advise Needed.Hide this!Advertise here!