• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SQ7-EL34 Video Build Series

I just finished up a VERY detailed build series on a DIY 6SQ7-EL34 amp. I previously built one for myself and decided to replicate it in a slightly more "mainstream" layout with all the audio connections on the back etc. I go into a lot of detail on chassis fabrication techniques I use, the wiring layout decision making processes and sharing little tips and things I have learned building stuff.

It ended up being about thirty 20 minute videos and folks who already know how to do this stuff isn't the target audience. Hope some people find this useful or at least entertaining!

This is the first video on the playlist:

My 6SQ7 EL34 Tube Audio Amplifier Build - YouTube

Here is the whole playlist

6SQ7-EL34 Tube Audio Amplifier - YouTube

And more info on my website

Skunkie Designs EL34 6SQ7

Reactions: 1 user
Great job, Stephe!

This series serves to demystify the DIY process for those who are new to DIY. Although I'm not nearly as experienced as many of those here, I've been restoring and building stuff for ~20 years and I picked up a few ideas too. I'm still working my way through the series but, as with all your videos, I'm impressed with the level of detail.

If someone thinks they couldn't possibly build something themselves, this series will convince them they can. What an excellent intro to our hobby!

I watched a few of your videos. I will say that if your intent is to try to teach the proper way of doing things then you have failed....my opinion. Example ...
you do not use a vernier caliper as a scribe to make a line on a chassis. The proper way would be to take a reading and then transfer it to a combination square and then scribe a line.

Sorry, but I find your mechanical abilities to be questionable at best. In other words learn how tools work and how to properly use them. Your attempt to make the proper opening in the chassis for an IEC socket was laughable. Do you happen to know what a sheet metal nibbler is? They are available for around $15.00 which is certainly within the budget of someone spending 6-7 hundred to make a small amplifier.

At this point in time I'm on the fence as to your real intentions. If you actually wish to teach then do it correctly using the correct tools. If your intention is to have a following of a half a million viewers simply for revenue then you need to step up your game with an actual DIY project that is a step above stuffing a china made PCB board to make a copy of a phono preamp.

I will give you credit as your latest project seems to be one that you designed which is a step above playing with a Chinese clone of what was once a decent circuit.

Last edited:
My intent is to show how I do things, which seems to work OK for me. I'm not sure how many times I have to repeat: I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I say many times in every video "There are other ways to do this, this is just how I do it."

Maybe you can point us to your efforts at helping folks DIY build things? I'm assuming you have made videos, created a website etc. to help folks build stuff themselves? The projects I am choosing are based on what viewers have asked for, not everyone picks a totally from scratch point to point wired amplifier as their first project. I want to provide a variety of projects for people at different skill levels to get them into this hobby. If they don't interest you, don't waste your time watching them.

And you are clearly ignorant about how YouTube works, I would have to monetize my videos with ads to make any money, which I haven't done and don't plan to. I'm just trying to share and contribute to the online DIY community in my retirement, which I think I have done.

Nothing is stopping you from doing the same.

Last edited:
Enjoying your videos Stephe.
Looking forward to hearing your listening experiences with the amp.

I'm puzzled why there are people on a DIY forum that feel like
they need to cr*p all over a thread about building something unique
by hand for fun. There are so many ways to do it and your way
works just fine.

I have found, over the course of my many decades on this orbiting rock, that the only way some people ca cope with their own inadequacies is to denigrate & belittle others who actually try & do something.

Pathetic.

"Illegitimi non carborundum" Stephe.

I do know that *I've* learned a thing or two from your vids. Thanks.

...you do not use a vernier caliper as a scribe to make a line on a chassis. The proper way would be to take a reading and then transfer it to a combination square and then scribe a line.

I know many professional engineers (myself included) who use calipers in this manner.

I have a sacred set that are for precision work - always returned to their case and handled like the crown jewels. They are never used as a scribe and have to remain calibrated.

I have a second carbide tipped set that are used for quick transfer work where ultra precision is not critical, but where I don't have time for faffing around using dividers etc. These are used for scribing and are still accurate after many years work.

Sorry, but I find your mechanical abilities to be questionable at best. In other words learn how tools work and how to properly use them. Your attempt to make the proper opening in the chassis for an IEC socket was laughable. Do you happen to know what a sheet metal nibbler is? They are available for around $15.00 which is certainly within the budget of someone spending 6-7 hundred to make a small amplifier.

FML.

Instead of being an ****, how about you give some constructive criticism in a less offensive way? How about you point to a video or guide of how to cut IEC socket holes and say 'hey, you seemed to have trouble cutting that square hole. Have you tried doing this instead...'?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have subscribed to your channel and look forward to watching these and other project episodes, nice to see a hobbyist passionate enough about the hobby to share her experience with the larger world.

Thank you for taking the time to put up these entertaining and informative videos.

It's all very worthwhile if it gets people actually building, and I think that is the point here.

Nice job. Whatever attracts people to learning more and building things is what we need.

Your video shows people that they can have a lot of fun building something themselves from scratch without being a rocket scientist.

Don't worry about the pedants .. they are all over the net but rarely do anything worthwhile themselves.... Phil