• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Twin triodes but only using one of them

Tried to search the forum before posting this thread but failed to find an answer on this question:

I am using only one triode of a twin as an input stage of an amplifier. What is best practice, simply leave the pins of the one not used open or shall I connect all three pins to earth?

Tried to search the forum before posting this thread but failed to find an answer on this question:

I am using only one triode of a twin as an input stage of an amplifier. What is best practice, simply leave the pins of the one not used open or shall I connect all three pins to earth?
Connect them to ground. Floating elements are never good. If possible disconect the filament for the unused triode.

Connecting the two triodes in parallel could upset the circuit design. What I did was to make 2 socket adaptors for the 1st 12AX7 in my Mac MC-30's, which use only one half of the tube. One adaptor lights up & uses 1/2 the tube, and when that wears out, I change the socket adaptor to the other one that uses the other half of the 12AX7. Works like a charm, and I have a fresh, unused triode when I switch to the 2nd one.

I had done repair on a 6SL7 driver using only 1 triode. the other triode is not used. when i check the tube with my mutual conductance tester, the used one still reads good but the un-used part reads low. Is this a result of cathode poisoning as they say?

I had done repair on a 6SL7 driver using only 1 triode. the other triode is not used. when i check the tube with my mutual conductance tester, the used one still reads good but the un-used part reads low. Is this a result of cathode poisoning as they say?

Intersting. I had a 6AS7 amp using only one section per channel, but using two tubes. I did this b/c I needed to push the plates slightly above max rating of 13W but did not want to parallel. I used pins 1,2, and 3 on one tube, and pins 4, 5, and 6 on the other tube. Then used to swap them every now and then.

I was pleased with this and felt it prolonged the tubes life...

But perhaps I was not? I was pushing one side too hard while poisoning the other at the same time?

What to do with the unused half? I guess connect all free elements to GND. I think floating is worse. Hmm, so many things to worry about....

Another option could be to load up on cheap NOS EABC80, since the triode part is half a 12AX7, and better quality according to this link ...
EABC80_T

I'm a bit surprised that the site you linked to says that the triode section of the EABC80 (and the 5751) is identical to a triode section of a 12AX7 because there are some differences (most important one: μ = 70 for the EABC80 against μ = 100 for the 12AX7). But it does confirm what one can deduct from the distortion figures in Philips datasheets for the EABC80: It's an overlooked sleeper.

The 12AH7-GT, a dual triode with an Octal base, has no centretap on its heater. But since it looks like there never was an all metal version of the 12AH7-GT, your statement still holds.

Attachments

• 12AH7.gif
    12AH7.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 167
Thanks guys for all your responses here. Much appreciated.
Apart from the possibility to use only one half of the filament connections (like ECC83 and ECC99),
I am puzzled about the way how that unused triode can give any crosstalk with the one that is actually being in use.
Neither the signal grid nor the cathode, nor the plate is running any voltage connected to it.