• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recommended PCB software

I am not fond of Apple or their business practices, but I do have a 6 year old iPad that I use for reading when in a car, plane or similar place. I use the cloud to move reading material on and off of the iPad. This PC is now disconnected from the iCloud, and has not misbehaved since, but it has only been a week. This is a 6 year old PC.

My wife, on the other hand had an iPad, iPhone, and Apple watch. She pays far too much attention to them.

I worked for Motorola for 41 years, and when they quit giving us discounted phones, I got a Samsung Galaxy S. Then a Note 2. When Samsungs got to expensive I switched to the budget Motorola's found on Amazon for about $200 each.

I tend to stay with stable released versions of any software that I rely on, and don't run out and try the latest version of anything, especially W11. I'll wait a while on that one.

I have spent the last week going through all my old computers. I finally upgraded the last XP machine I had to W7. I now have two working W7 machines, neither will see the web. One will be a new dedicated audio tester for REW. My old one died several years ago. It uses the 18 year old PCI audio card from the dead PC because the card is nearly flat out to 95 KHz when run at 24/192. PCI (not PCIe) slots and old XP or W7 drivers don't behave reliably on W10.

Yes, if you can print out the pcb to the exact correct scale, use that to check fit both for parts
and in the chassis

But never buy a lot of pcb copies until you try at least one real board with all parts,
and get it fully operational.

That is exactly what I am always doing with Fritzing made pcb's. In this program it is very simple to have the one to one print out.

I've been making all my own footprints having the parts and a digital caliper and part drawings right next to me, then you get perfection in fit. tube sockets are really the easiest to make. I like what Rayma said about not trusting your first board order, more often you'll want to revise the board, good thing jlcpcb only charges $2 for the first board on an order! But shipping kills you. One to one printing and actually laying on the parts is a must you'll always catch something in the pitch or spacing of parts.

For a small number of smaller boards, Osh Park is good.
A group of three boards are $5 per sq in. of the design.

I haven't tried them but I may have to due to the rising shipping costs from Asia. Even if their prototype price is higher I may come out ahead on the whole price with shipping. I'll take a look and compare the same board to an old order at jlc.

Administrator
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It may be true that some are monetizing their shipping. But having investigated shipping recently for the an online store I can tell you that it is complex and costly. A shipper with a good deal for one area might have a worse deal for somewhere else. But if you split your contracts across two shippers then your systems costs double and the lower volumes mean you get a worse deal from both. It’s a mares nest from go to whoa. So in many cases where shipping seems weirdly priced that just because it is.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It may not be the PCB software itself, it may be W10.

Myself and countless others have noticed several issues with W10, all started with the February 2021 update. Googling reveals that several users have been seeing mouse, and / or keyboard freezes. .

It may also be the mouse. I recently bought a Logitech USB mouse that was supposed to work on a glass worktop. It does, very good, but it occasionally (rather often) freezes and I have to move-and-click to unfreeze it.
The previous mouses on this machine, a wired one and one with an RF dongle, never had that problem. W10.

Jan

Some pcb fabs try to make their shipping charges into a profit center (cough) Advanced Circuits (cough).

The early Tubelab boards (2005 - 2007) were made by Advanced Circuits. They "upgraded" their fab to do sequentially laminated and HDI boards and my large (40 sq inch) tube amp boards would not fit on their new process. My board now needed to go through the "special process line" (probably the same old line) at an additional charge. For nearly $20 per board in lots of 50, no thanks.

It may also be the mouse. I recently bought a Logitech USB mouse that was supposed to work on a glass worktop. It does, very good, but it occasionally (rather often) freezes and I have to move-and-click to unfreeze it. The previous mouses on this machine, a wired one and one with an RF dongle, never had that problem. W10. Jan

I tried 4 different mice and one IS a Logitech. Another is an old PS2 mouse with the mini DIN plug. All did the same thing. Unfortunately it took the death of one mouse for me to figure out that it wasn't the mouse. After hitting a concrete wall at high speed it literally became a cat's toy and is still hanging just above ground level from a tree in the yard. When the wind blows the cat will smack it around. Obviously this mouse has a decent cable!