• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84PP, a simply circuit

A C-Core transformer, but enclosed with traditional E-I End Bells?
Right?
In Europe we have standardized C cores and double C cores, with the latter ones having the same outer dimensions and iron cross section as an EI core of the same size. Hence, if there are end bells for some certain EI cores, they also will fit to double C cores of the same nominal size.

Best regards!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Walter, I have these Sowter OPTs looking for a home, from a recent auction. They are rated at 10k Rla-a, and I have been looking for a dedicated pentode circuit to get the best from them. The type 1176s is a custom version of U063 which has a wide range (20Hz - 30Hz).

I would be interested in the list of components if you don't mind sending them to me. I like to simulate the circuits I build in LTSpice as a starting point. Also interested in a quote for the boards and delivery.to Sweden.

Rgds, Richard

508898986_0f95d890-abe3-4292-90b3-3c2cc138e453.jpg

I check the signals out of phase for different levels and they are very close.
The distortion at 1 kHz at 1 watt is 0,3% with only 9 dB of FB

Walter
The current that the tube is swinging will develop a voltage across each plate and cathode load resistor- if you use a cathode bias resistor (R8) you will need to take the signal output from the junction between the bias resistor and the cathode load resistor (R8/R9 junction) or you will be introducing an error voltage into the signal from the cathode, effectively adding the bias resistor to the cathode load resistor. It will be a small error but is still an error. If the load resistors are on the order of something like 100k ohms the error will be small, if they are lower such as 22-47k ohms the error will be an order of magnitude larger.

In practice this error will end up creating primarily more 2nd harmonic distortion, which theoretically should cancel in the output stage, but it will also increase overall THD versus having equal outputs.

Best practice is to take the signal input to C5 from the R8/R9/R10 junction, and to match R11 and R10 as close as possible for perfect balance.

Hi Walter, I have these Sowter OPTs looking for a home, from a recent auction. They are rated at 10k Rla-a, and I have been looking for a dedicated pentode circuit to get the best from them. The type 1176s is a custom version of U063 which has a wide range (20Hz - 30Hz).

I would be interested in the list of components if you don't mind sending them to me. I like to simulate the circuits I build in LTSpice as a starting point. Also interested in a quote for the boards and delivery.to Sweden.

Rgds, Richard

View attachment 1142627

Hi
he list

V1= 6922-ECC88-PCC88

V2-V3 = EL84

nr. 3 noval

R1= 50 kohm ½ watt passo 5 mm

R2-R7= 470 ohm ¼ watt passo 5 mm

R3 = 27kohm 1 w passo 15 mm

R4 = 270 ohm ½ watt passo 5 mm

R5 = 68 ohm ½ watt passo 5 mm

R6 = 2k7 1 watt passo 1 5 mm

Rx = da definire ½ watt passo 4 mm

R8 = 1 Mohm ¼ watt passo 5 mm

R9 =470 ohm ½ watt passo 5 mm

R10-R11 = 18 kohm 1 watt passo 15 mm

R12-R13 = 2k2 1/watt passo 5 mm

R14-R15 = 1 kohm 1 watt passo 15 mm

R16-R17 = 1 ohm 1 watt passo 15 mm

R18-R19 = 220 kohm ½ watt passo 5 mm

R20 = 1 kohm 1 watt passo 15 mm

C1 = 0,1 uF 400 Vdc passo 20 mm

C2 = 0,1 uF 100 Vdc passo 5 mm

C3 = 220 uF 25 Vdc passo 2,5 mm

C4-C5 = 0,22 uF 400 Vdc passo 22 22mm

C6-C8 = 0,1 uF 400 Vdc passo 20 mm

C7-C9 = 10 uF 400 Vdc passo 5 mm

About power trafo

Prim. 220-230 volt
sec. 230 volt 600 mA ( if only one)
sec. 30 volt 50 mA for bias
sec. 3,15-0-3,15 volt 5 A

I check in my lab about pcb; maybe I have few ones

Ask for other info

Bye

Reactions: 1 user
The current that the tube is swinging will develop a voltage across each plate and cathode load resistor- if you use a cathode bias resistor (R8) you will need to take the signal output from the junction between the bias resistor and the cathode load resistor (R8/R9 junction) or you will be introducing an error voltage into the signal from the cathode, effectively adding the bias resistor to the cathode load resistor. It will be a small error but is still an error. If the load resistors are on the order of something like 100k ohms the error will be small, if they are lower such as 22-47k ohms the error will be an order of magnitude larger.

In practice this error will end up creating primarily more 2nd harmonic distortion, which theoretically should cancel in the output stage, but it will also increase overall THD versus having equal outputs.

Best practice is to take the signal input to C5 from the R8/R9/R10 junction, and to match R11 and R10 as close as possible for perfect balance.

Hi

the major selection is around EL84, not only for bias point.
In triode mode it is more easy to do
In my case I use a standard pair of 84.
But, if you want, you can try to trimm the anode or cathode resistors putting in parallel a different values

Walter

tubes4all,

I am very curious about your stereo system, as a whole.

What loudspeakers do you use for 15Hz music signals?
What is the longest dimension of your listening room?
Do you listen near-field?

What is your amplifier model, or is it custom?
Topology, and a few details, please.

Do you use a turntable and phono cartridge as one of your signal sources?
What is the low frequency resonance of your tonearm and cartridge (mass and compliance resonance)?
Do you have any warped LPs (~ 3Hz, typical)?

Thanks!

Then your circuit is bad, 15hz is poor results.
Btw your “circuits” is not of any use because there are no values of any components
Many people on this forum are knowledgeable enough to fill in the values themselves... You might notice Broskie posts many schematics with no values - he's showing the topology :)
15Hz -3db isn't exactly poor but I make my -3 point under 2Hz personally. Of course to do that, you need good transformers, and a good design otherwise it's easy to have breathing or motorboating or other LF instability.
I still regard "hi-fi" as 30Hz - 15kHz, too. My amps are measured flat within 1db from 6Hz to 50kHz (1W power) though.

Hi

the major selection is around EL84, not only for bias point.
In triode mode it is more easy to do
In my case I use a standard pair of 84.
But, if you want, you can try to trimm the anode or cathode resistors putting in parallel a different values

Walter
I feel like you may not understand the cathodyne phase inverter theory enough, as you quoted my post yet made no direct response to what I was explaining regarding the signal take-off point..

Banned Sockpuppet
Joined 2021
tubes4all,

I am very curious about your stereo system, as a whole.

What loudspeakers do you use for 15Hz music signals?
What is the longest dimension of your listening room?
Do you listen near-field?

What is your amplifier model, or is it custom?
Topology, and a few details, please.

Do you use a turntable and phono cartridge as one of your signal sources?
What is the low frequency resonance of your tonearm and cartridge (mass and compliance resonance)?
Do you have any warped LPs (~ 3Hz, typical)?

Thanks!
It’s simple it is a matter of distortion. Specially for PP. So the bandwidth of your speaker is not so important.