• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Note 300B Kit 1 - 0.015uF Capacitor pls help

I started the adventure to build myself the Audio One 300B Kit one, currently purchasing all the components.

There are 2 signal capacitors: 0.015 uF and 0.22 uF.
For 0.22 uF I found Miflex KPCU01 - Copper foil and polypropylene.
For 0.015 uF Miflex has only MKP02 which is a polypropylene capacitor not similar to the Cu / Al foil audio capacitors.

Searching for 3 days already everywhere and cannot find anything, not even on Ebay except some Russian capacitors.

Can you please help me?

I can find 0.022 but not sure if this higher capacity is ok to replace 0.015?

Look for Russian 0,1 uF teflon capacitors

I started the adventure to build myself the Audio One 300B Kit one, currently purchasing all the components.

For 0.015 uF Miflex has only MKP02 which is a polypropylene capacitor not similar to the Cu / Al foil audio capacitors.

Searching for 3 days already everywhere and cannot find anything, not even on Ebay except some Russian capacitors.

Can you please help me?

Can you please help me?

If you're talking about the Kit 1 with a 6SN7>SRPP 5687 driver circuit, the signal caps were all 0.22uf/630V. The 0.015uf/630Vs were power supply bypass caps. Check the schematic. For bypass you can use a 0.01uf or .0.022uf - easier to find.

I repaired/assembled AN UK kits for Angela Instruments back in the 90s.

Hope that helps!

If you're talking about the Kit 1 with a 6SN7>SRPP 5687 driver circuit, the signal caps were all 0.22uf/630V. The 0.015uf/630Vs were power supply bypass caps. Check the schematic. For bypass you can use a 0.01uf or .0.022uf - easier to find.

I repaired/assembled AN UK kits for Angela Instruments back in the 90s.

Hope that helps!

Hello,

It is the driver PCB - pls see picture attached. So a 0.01 uf would be ok to use?

Attachments

• driver_PCB.JPG
    driver_PCB.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 121
Thank guys for all the good replies, I was away from my computer a few days but would like to order these capacitors, need your help.

For 0.22uF I found locally from Miflex - see attached - a copper / PP. It is not cheap - 4x26.5 USD = 106 USD.

I am a bit confused on the mixed opinions that I found online regarding there expensive caps but I am ready to pull the trigger in case you say it is worth it.

For 0.015 uF I found also from Miflex - see attached - a PP film cap. It is cheap - 1.4 USD / piece - 4x1.4 = 5.6 USD.

How this capacitor compares to your recommendations?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 0.22uF_Miflex.jpg
    0.22uF_Miflex.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 0.015uf_Miflex.jpg
    0.015uf_Miflex.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 149
The Myflex are good, but after trying many, many boutique capacitors in my amps and preamp, my go-to film cap is the Cornell-Dubilier 942C series. These are recommended by John Broskie at TubeCad, and they are a superb cap. They have a rich, even 3D presentation, with no phase issues in the highs. The higher the voltage rating, the better they sound. For .22 I use 1000 or 1600vdc. They have a .01 at 2000vdc that would be fine for the bypass. They are very affordable. Both Mouser and Digikey carry them, just enter "942C" in the search field.

I built a Kit One in the late 1990s, and it is to this day one of the most musically satisfying amps I've ever owned.

Back then, all the caps in the kit that were not electrolytic were Jensen aluminum foil PIO. Those sounded fantastic in this amp.

I later rolled in some Audio Note branded copper foil PIOs for the 0.22uf coupling caps, and actually didn't find those to sound as nice as the stock Jensen aluminum caps in this particular application.

I'm sure the Miflex will be great in the Kit One. I've only heard great things about them, but they are HUGE. Did you have any problems getting them to fit?

One issue I eventually had with the smaller Jensen PIO bypass caps is that several of them started leaking oil. I pulled the amp of of circulation at that point and haven't had time to repair it.

So maybe it's better to go with some poly caps in those spots, or at least something that's known to be reliable. I don't know if you will or will not hear a difference changing out those bypass caps in those locations.

What kind of caps does the Kit One come with these days, btw?

The Myflex are good, but after trying many, many boutique capacitors in my amps and preamp, my go-to film cap is the Cornell-Dubilier 942C series. These are recommended by John Broskie at TubeCad, and they are a superb cap. They have a rich, even 3D presentation, with no phase issues in the highs. The higher the voltage rating, the better they sound. For .22 I use 1000 or 1600vdc. They have a .01 at 2000vdc that would be fine for the bypass. They are very affordable. Both Mouser and Digikey carry them, just enter "942C" in the search field.

This is good information!

Thanks!