• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cheap 300B "mules" for breadboarding?

I want to invest in a pair of cheap 300B's for use on the bench breadboarding and trying out circuits. When I build something I like (after a year of breadboarding probably) only that circuit will go into a nice chassis with quality parts, then I'll spend more on the tubes at that time.

So they don't have to be WE's or whatever 300B is being run up in price due to hype. In the States the Electro Harmonix and Shuguang go for about $125 each.

But then I came across a pair of PSVanes for $126 ($63 each)! Are these functional or junk? Remember I'll be abusing these tubes on the bench doing driver shoot outs, different voltages, lots of turn on/off cycles, etc.

I thought of picking up some used 300B's on ebay but that could be risky, weak emissions, etc. at still high prices it seems there for used.

I mean can these $63 PSVanes be so crappy that they wouldn't even be good as breadboard mules? I have a socket order going to GDParts this week so I could easily add these on. No particular model stated, just that they are from the "DIY Upgrade Factory" whatever that means.

PSVANE HIFI 300B Vacuum Electron Power Tube For Vintage Hifi Audio Tube AMP DIY Upgrade Factory Test Match Pair New|amplifier diy|vintage amplifiersvacuum tube - AliExpress

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
My guess is that they sell them at discounted price due to cosmetical blemishes. I've bought a while ago 4 Psvane EL34 tubes at a temporary 60% discount special sale from another seller. They all work fine for testing purposes, much better than the worn-out tubes I was using before. One does have a rattling noise in the base (loose shard of glass maybe), another one does have the internal structure tilted, a third came with a damaged spigot.
For the price paid I was afraid they were used, but instead they are new tubes ugly to look at. I don't know anything about this specific listing but maybe it's a similar situation.

I have the shuguang 300b 98 I have been using since 2018 every other day or so to play an album or two. About 180 Au dollars for the pair delivered at the time. Given the many “junk” status reviews I had read I wasn’t expecting much from them in terms of longevity or sound quality but I have been happy enough with them. I haven’t listened to any other alternatives. I don’t consider they’re being abused as such but are operating within the max ratings. The Canadian u tube poster young ahn has done some technical and subjective comparisons of shuguang v a more expensive alternative and the outcome was basically wtf no difference.

I'll admit I have no experience with DHTs... I triode strap horizontal tubes (some of which were actually internally connected and sold as 6B4G) so I get similar performance to DHT for pennies on the dollar, but I have read the PSVANE was started by the enthusiasts that split from Shuguang when Shuguang started to cut corners and make garbage. In theory, PSvane is good. I agree with pcan, they are likely factory seconds with cosmetic issues - I find GD-Parts to be reputable.

I'm waiting for a 60 watt version with a heater cathode to be introduced. I won't hold my breath.

Factory seconds are ok for my purpose, these wouldn't be used for listening in the den. I just need something for repeated breadboarding abuse that's going to behave, ohms-law-wise, like a bogey 300B. Usually all mono so I'll have a spare or I'll two if experimenting with PP.

Based on the fact that others have used these...

I'm gonna get them, my first 300B purchase! I'd really hate to fry a $300 tube just tying something out on the breadboard.

Thx

The pair I have were supposed to be factory matched. They seem pretty close for the initial 50 hours. I show less than 0.5dB difference between them in gain in the circuit I run them in when I switch positions. They will probably drift in time, but that is expected.

YMMV

I'm waiting for a 60 watt version with a heater cathode to be introduced. I won't hold my breath.

6336B, 6528A $40-$50

Higher 2nd Harmonic than 300B, so either P-P class A or UnSet to clean up.

Attachments

• 6336A.jpg
    6336A.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
6336B, 6528A $40-$50

Higher 2nd Harmonic than 300B, so either P-P class A or UnSet to clean up.
Just curious . . . how much power does a 6336B make in SE and in PP? And what OT primary do you use?

I just took a quick look at the data sheet and no power output is given since it's apparently designed to be used as a pass tube in regulated power supplies.

One thing that did get my attention was the fact that the heater draws 5A per tube!