Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Plate chokes - choosing and using
Plate chokes - choosing and using
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2021, 05:12 AM   #31
Paul Joppa is offline Paul Joppa  United States
diyAudio Member

Nothing special in this post, just validating that the Hammonds work as expected as plate chokes, within their ratings.

Some years (decades?) ago I build a preamp test bed with several switchable chokes 30H to 72H if I recall correctly. The tube was a 6BL7, rp 2K2. There were four different inductances, and each increase was an audible improvement. (I was mostly listening for midrange clarity/resolution at the time, not frequency extension.)

I added a current source to the options, and that seemed clearly better than any choke, but it shifted the operating point too far to call it a valid comparison.

I've also used the 157G in a prototype 2-watt amp with 6DN7, rk 2K5, parafeed into an 8K:8 ohm output transformer driving an 8-ohm speaker. It worked without issues, but neither the choke nor the transformer I used was adequate for very deep bass - see first paragraph.
Old 15th September 2021, 07:00 AM   #32
andyjevans is offline andyjevans  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Good to hear your very extensive experience, Paul. Thanks for coming in.

I also have found that each increase in inductance was an audible improvement, again in midrange clarity. I'll have to get my Bartola gyrators working - some glitch I haven't fixed.

Could you say something about comparing plate chokes and active loads to a plain resistor load?
  Reply to this post

Plate chokes - choosing and usingHide this!Advertise here!