• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can you play valve amplifier on monoblocks

Thank you Andy for your reply. I am using epos k3 floor standing speakers. I have a yaqin 300b amplifier which I love the sound quality from the amplifier. But I brought some goldmund 300 of a friend in the hope of me being able to use both together at the same time. I have a preamp as well but I just love the valve sound. Hopefully I can otherwise I have wasted money. Won’t sit well with the better half.

Epos K3 has 2 mid-bass and a tweeter. The Yaqin 300b is giving you good sound from the speaker as it is. It does not look like the kind of speaker that you would bi-amp. The Goldmund is a powerful amp that would be useful for a subwoofer, but it doesn't look like you need that? Have you tried the Goldmund into the K3s and what do they sound like?

You may get some useful replies on HiFi Wigwam, a UK forum, where they know about speakers and how to drive them.

yaqin 300b is an integrated amp

You can't hook up goldmund 300 with yaqin 300b

You need Preamp to connect both goldmund 300 and yaqin 300b

First, use goldmund 300 with preamp to see how its sound. Find out if the bass or midrange is better than yaqin 300b or not. If not, then don't bother.

If goldmund 300 bass is better, use preamp to connect both. goldmund 300 bottom for bass

If goldmund 300 midrange is better, use preamp to connect both. goldmund 300 top for midrange

Bi-amp: I don't know much about goldmund 300 but I have done similar with Mark Levinson amp for bass.

Epos-k3.png

If you bi-amp, and use the 300B tube amp to drive the tweeter, then you need to put a high pass filter in front of the 300B amp input.

Otherwise, without a high pass filter in front of the 300B tube amp, it will have bass frequencies present at the input.
The bass frequencies will be unloaded by the tweeter terminals (the tweeter has a high pass crossover inside, and the tweeter external binding posts present the 300B tube amp with a very high impedance at low and mid bass frequencies.
An unloaded 300B amp is a bad thing (no matter the frequency). Those low frequencies must not be at the tube amp input, so that they will not appear at the tube amp output.

Last edited:
It is not a good idea to operate a vacuum tube amplifier without a proper load.
Lots of threads in Tubes / Valves about this.
Push Pull, or Single Ended.
Global Negative Feedback, or no global negative feedback.
Your Mileage May Vary (depending on all the specifics).
Do so at your own amplifiers risk.

If you feed all frequencies to an amplifier, you should have a proper load at all frequencies.

Using an appropriate filter in front of the amplifier will prevent it from producing a frequency that is not properly loaded by the band limited speaker terminals, when you disconnect the jumpers to make it Bi-Amplified, such as your speaker as was shown in Post # 6.
If it were me, I would take care to limit the frequencies at the tube amplifier input.

Your amplifier might never be harmed, but what if it is.

If your preamp has low output impedance, a simple series capacitor and resistor to ground makes a good 6dB/Octave high pass filter for the tweeter tube amplifier.

You need to know the input resistance and impedance of the tube amplifier input.
You need to know the crossover frequency of the speaker (the lowest frequency the tweeter receives from the speaker's internal crossover elements)
You need to calculate the capacitor and resistor to ground of the high pass filter accordingly.

Then you should be able to safely Bi-Amp like you wanted to do.

Of course, some solid state amplifiers (like the one that is Bi-Amp driving the woofer), may not like to have no loading at high frequencies, unless you use a low pass filter at the input of the solid state amplifier.
That is because the speaker's back panel woofer connectors, do not provide a proper load at high frequencies, the speaker's internal woofer crossover is high impedance at high frequencies.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
You could buy an electronic crossover, use it in front of both amps and bi-amp your speakers.

You can get populated boards and/or finished products from $40 - $100.

I have posted here before about bi-amping speakers. I bought a used electronic crossover for < $100. I tried it and liked it so much that I built a tube based crossover.
I have been using it every day since 2010.

Steve