• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quad II parts advice please.

Well I suppose the word is damn damn and damn(yep thats three
After looking for a pair of ESL57s I just dont think they will work in my hi fi room.
ESL57s about three foot wide.Total width of room is 9ft 9 inches and length 11ft 8inches.Thinkng in all honesty thats pushing it for any electrostatic.

No you don't. This is urban myth. They are perfectly stable without reproducing the shunt capacitance of the original C2/3, which any case was only 30pF, not 1nF. The KT66s already have that much in Cgk, you don't need to add to it.

I don’t think this one is a myth. Quad’s servicing datasheet mentions when replacing metal cased PIO caps with film types, to then add 33pF between pins 2 and 6 of each EF86 valve base. They used to recommend 350V silver mica. Also interesting to note that in their new reproduction Quad II monoblocks, these caps are also incorporated, albeit with what appear to be ceramic disc capacitors this time, and on the KT66 bases & ground.

Last edited:
I don’t think this one is a myth. Quad’s servicing datasheet mentions when replacing metal cased PIO caps with film types, to then add 33pF between pins 2 and 6 of each EF86 valve base. They used to recommend 350V silver mica. Also interesting to note that in their new reproduction Quad II monoblocks, these caps are also incorporated, albeit with what appear to be ceramic disc capacitors this time, and on the KT66 bases & ground.
I'm aware that Quad do it but IMHO they are mistaken. For a start consider that a Kt66 already has Cag of about 30pF, so there is no need for the extra leakage capacitance at al, so the assertion that the leakage was designed into the circuit lacks motivation. Secondly, ask yourself why a signal out of V1 that has already had an LP pole imposed by 33pF from plate to grid should have another such pole imposed by the same in V2. This can only mean that the signal into V4 gets two such poles. It's pointless from both points of view. Thirdly, consider that Quad GmbH don't fit them. In over sixteen years of not fitting these capacitors I have never seen a Quad II oscillate.

Slowly but surely getting there.Main caps measure 15.9uf and 16 uf so going to leave them in.Going to stick with Jones socket for input and 2 prong mains with a grounding post next to it for earth.
Smiffy

Attachments

• 20220723_140327.jpg
    20220723_140327.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 73
Hi All

Haven't fitted R12 yet nor R1.C1 has been changed and yes Coupling caps are Russian K75s (R1 and R12 in fact in picture on left of quad but hardly a sharp focus pic)C4 and C6 seem to measure ok but will probably change them.
Will split mains before it goes into quad and put a ring socket on earth then mount on grounding post post
Have checked grounding post has continuity with the chassis

Cheers all

Attachments

• 20220725_083541.jpg
    20220725_083541.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 36