• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Quad II parts advice please.

Been looking long and hard and just cant see how I can fit an iec socket without cutting the chassis.I would prefer signals at one end and mains at the other.Can fit a phono connector where the 6 pin Morgan is and the binding posts where the 2 pin main input is.Or maybe put rca input where one output socket is and fill the other one in.
Still working on it.

Use the cloverleaf style laptop IEC connectors (C5 and C6).

Mount the socket on an aluminium plate. If you really want to not make any holes it would be possible to use the power selector bolt hole, and two of the maker's plate holes on the side. I drilled two small holes, plus one more for an earth point, next to the fuse holder, on the side of the amp.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    1,007.2 KB · Views: 180
  • cloverleaf C5 C6.gif
    cloverleaf C5 C6.gif
    86.9 KB · Views: 174
Joined 2013
Paid Member
I’m not entirely clear why you’re adding phono jacks if you have a 22? The power amps don’t have a blocking cap on the input as that is handled by the 22. If you change it to phono you’re going to want to add a blocking cap to the input, but that may mess with the 22 input, depending on where you put it.

I’ve got a pair of these that I have refurbed, as well as a 22. The main problem with most 22s that I’ve seen is that the volume / balance / power pot goes and it’s hard to find a suitable replacement. Also changing the caps and resistors in the tone circuit can be a real challenge.

Check out Patrick Turner's pages for Quad. There are a couple of things you can do for stability. I used a 0.1uF MKP for the coupling cap, and added another resistor from the grid of the EF86. (I missed that at first, and had oscillation when unplugging inputs).

The snag with the quads is the volume control. I was thinking that a minimalist control unit with a volume control, even an on off switch, would be great since sensitivity is plenty high enough for coupling to a CD player or blue tooth adaptor, so the control unit is redundant apart from volume.

Thanks for reply Ahankinson
Need to use the 22 until I can add phono sockets etc to the power amps.Only have 2 sources and they both have dc blocking output caps.
But would rather get the 22 working first and check it as a few faults.Found the 22 far to sensitive for cd so going to make up some attenuators.Was a real pain to get the on/off switch out to replace the two blown suppression caps..Also a few resistors out of spec.
Did quite like the 22 with the power amps but would like to try an active pre amp(Classe CP35 and a passive.(Tilsbury Audio switched att)
Regards
John

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Ta all for the information everybody.Much appreciated.had to re order suppression caps as got the wrong value.got 0.47uf instead of 0.047uf.Stupid boy.
Looking to match the valves in the 2s.pinched the 2 EF86s out of 22 so now one Quad has miniwatt EF86s and Miniwatt KT66s.other has mullard EF86s and GEC KT66s
John

Thanks EJP.
There seems to be 4 different ones.4 big holding mains transformer on,smaller ones holding KT66 sockets,output transfomer.GZ32 socket and 6 pin jones socket and 2 pin main in then 4 smaller holding the EF86s and 2 holding the choke.cant find a diagram anywhere to match the bolts with the sizes.