• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The best amplifier I have built so far

Now I've built a few.

My first was JLH 80W MOS-FET amp which really blew my socks off back in the 1990s.

That was only beaten a few years ago when I built a Pass Aleph 4. Now that is seriously nice amplifier.

But, recently I built a Pass Aleph J. Although not as powerful, it is just so sweet to listen to compared to the Aleph 4.

Last week I finished a Williamson 5-20 EL34 amplifier which, to my ears knocks the socks off all of the others.

The Williamson just has so much more depth to its sound and far more control of the deep bass all the way through to the high treble.

No, this is the Williamson 5-20.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 1,512
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2015
Now I've built a few.

My first was JLH 80W MOS-FET amp which really blew my socks off back in the 1990s.

That was only beaten a few years ago when I built a Pass Aleph 4. Now that is seriously nice amplifier.

But, recently I built a Pass Aleph J. Although not as powerful, it is just so sweet to listen to compared to the Aleph 4.

Last week I finished a Williamson 5-20 EL34 amplifier which, to my ears knocks the socks off all of the others.

The Williamson just has so much more depth to its sound and far more control of the deep bass all the way through to the high treble.
John Linsley Hood designed his class A amplifier in order to replace his Williamson amplifier that he found himself lucky to own the best version. By listening comparatively with several friends they found the transistor amp at least as good as the tube one. What do you think?
PS Original Williamson uses KT66.

Last edited: